• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Canon's EOS E1 video plug-in for Apple's Final Cut Pro was will be released today in March 2010. This new plug-in will allow simple and easy transfer of video content from Canon’s EOS DSLR cameras directly into Final Cut Pro. The EOS E1 video plug-in takes advantage of Final Cut Pro’s powerful Log and Transfer feature, which allows users to select and mark the video directly while it is still on the camera, add custom metadata and ingest the clips in the background so the editing can begin immediately.

The EOS E1 video plug-in will be a free download available at Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X - Final Cut Studio. The plug-in is compatible with Final Cut Pro 6 or higher and currently supports Canon EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D and EOS 1D Mark IV cameras.

Note there is another plug-in called 5DtoFCP which converts existing EOS .mov files to Pro Res at 25 fps using Compressor. That is NOT the plug-in from Canon.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:35 AM

Epic FAIL on Canon for sending out an email for vaporware.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

The latest from DPreview

"A free Beta release of the plug-in will be available to download for testing and evaluation in March 2010." Seems like they jumped the gun a little bit.

I'm wondering if they bought this plugin from Glue Tools. They were going to offer a plugin that was very similar, but any reference to it is now removed from their site.

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

Oops. Someone seriously screwed up!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Definite SUPER FAIL for sending out industry emails like that. I wonder if the 24/25fps firmware for the 5D2 is going to show up before June too.

Drew

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

London, 8th February 2010 – Canon today announces the development of a plug-in that will enable quicker and easier editing of EOS MOVIE footage in Final Cut Pro. A free Beta release of the plug-in will be available to download for testing and evaluation in March 2010.
‘EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro’ is being developed to provide an even smoother workflow for EOS MOVIE users who edit using Apple’s Final Cut Pro software suite. The plug-in will enable the ‘log and transfer’ of video footage from Canon’s EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D and EOS-1D Mark IV Digital SLR cameras – all of which offer full 1080p HD video recording.
The plug-in will convert EOS MOVIE footage to Apple’s high quality ProRes 422 codec at approximately twice the speed of Apple’s standard conversion. Additionally, users will also be able to add timecode, reel names and metadata to footage quickly and easily – further enhancing the experience of EOS MOVIE users when editing their footage.

This is the official press release (and not the official email sent out to industry types Feb 4). I've begun to think that Canon has learnt the bad habits of startup companies by talking about releasing a product months before, releasing a beta product for users to test (thus not costing them a thing to test), then finally releasing the product months later. Sigh.

Drew

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Software has been released and discussed here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=35185

Closing this thread so there's no confusion.

Drew