• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:41 AM

Hi there here are some shots I recently took on a holiday in kosrae micronesia. they were taken with a canon G10 canon housing sea and sea ys27dx strobe and fantasea big eye lens. The g10 was my first camera and I had been using it for around 8 months. Near the end of my trip i flooded the G10 (so mad) but now I am putting together a new d90 set up. all criticism welcome/

IMG_0177.JPG IMG_6139.JPG

Attached Images

• IMG_5918.JPG

www.aquaseen.com

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

Hi Matt,

I like the H. magnifica shot - great muted colors.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

Exposures look great but I think the images lack a secondary subject of interest. Something to help the eye search the frame.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#4 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

I think you are spot on I do like the images but i felt their was something missing.
www.aquaseen.com

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hey matt, in the interest of education, how did the G10 flood?

Sorry to here it, but at least you're on the way to a new D90.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

it was my fault completely. I was doing a shore dive at a place called horoshi point with my girlfriend. it was only a shallow dive and she was having some trouble with her ears so I was on the sand bottom watching her to make sure she was ok. buy the time she got to the bottom I unfolded my strobe arms and went to turn on the camera but nothing had a closer look and my worst nightmare had come true it was full. I also had a 16gig card with lots of shots from my trip that were all lost. Anyway it flooded because I had got the very thin end of the hand strap caught in the housing gate. I was so angry because I am so cautious about those sorts of things but I had taken it out before the dive to get some shots of the site then rushed putting it back together. Anyway it was a good lesson to learn and now i have a d90 witch I am very happy with.
www.aquaseen.com

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

Ouch, It's amazing how many times it's always a combination of two or more things that get us in trouble. Have a great time with the Nikon!

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#8 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:13 AM

Hi Matt
What were your impressions of Kosrae as I'm thinking about an expedition to there, Pohnpei and Kwagelein from my base in Palau?
I'm heard Palau is generally a much better choice?

#9 Thierry

Thierry

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi Matt,

Nice pictures. I hope you'll have as much fun with your D90 than myself with my D70. (I wish I could go for the D90, but I have to win the lottery for that :P )

Just a tip : I never use very high capacity memory cards. I prefer taking with me 1Gb/2Gb cards. Each one of 2 days I remove it from the camera, even if it is not fully filled in. And I usually have separated cards for pictures taken UW or on the ground.
In case of floodings, you save some shots and don't get everything lost.
Nikon D70, Ikelite Housing, 1 * Ikelite DS125

#10 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hey I thought Kosrae was great. I was very lucky to be good friends with Doug and Sally Beitz who own and run Kosrae Nautilus resort. I loved the diving visibility was normally 30m+ The hard coral thier is amazing and Doug is great dive guide. I have not been to palau so I cant compare. also the island is very laid back and doesn't have any night life or things like that and the island is quite religious so you cant dive on a sunday but it does have some beautiful waterfalls, mountain hikes and some really interesting ancient ruins. I was their for about 2 and a half months and loved it.
www.aquaseen.com

#11 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

Cool thanks.