• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

The annual Mavericks big wave surf competition is underway at Half Moon Bay, CA. A big rogue wave has injured dozens of spectators and the waves are seriously big on Saturday. Fortunately no one was killed.
However for one surf photographer who found his way into the water, you can see he's desperately trying to save his Canon camera with a 70-200 lens. I'd have to say that Canon Professional Services will not be allowing warranty repairs on that rig.
Posted Image

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 jtresfon

jtresfon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:49 AM

The annual Mavericks big wave surf competition is underway at Half Moon Bay, CA. A big rogue wave has injured dozens of spectators and the waves are seriously big on Saturday. Fortunately no one was killed.
However for one surf photographer who found his way into the water, you can see he's desperately trying to save his Canon camera with a 70-200 lens. I'd have to say that Canon Professional Services will not be allowing warranty repairs on that rig.

Posted Image

Ouch... that looks expensive! P.S. Congrats to South African big wave surfer Chris Bertish for winning the event!

Regards
Jean.

#3 Iggy460

Iggy460

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Playing with My Son, Standup Paddle Surfing, Surfing, Rock Climbing, Fishing, Diving

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

AUWE!!! (hawaiian for Oh That SUCKS!) ;)
Photojournalist/SurfPhotogNewbie

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

That shot could sell a few surf housings.

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

Looks to me like he has a wetsuit on... probably fell off jet ski. While watching event it appeared there were guys out with cameras without housings. OUCH

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, quite a few guys don't like the bulkiness of a housing or the difficulty in working with a bag like EWA marine. If he managed to keep it out of the drink quickly when he fell in, it could've survived. My 1D2 suffered a submergence (albeit in fresh water) and still shot 3 years after that without any issues.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

If he managed to keep it out of the drink quickly when he fell in, it could've survived. My 1D2 suffered a submergence (albeit in fresh water) and still shot 3 years after that without any issues.

Different tolerance for risk, though I think if I had a set-up of those cameras and lenses shown in those photos, I would not have to worry about it surviving, the shock would kill me :(

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Trying to make the world look perfect

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

I cant understand why, with that lens, they put themselves in that position. Screw the shot .... that's serious buisness with all of that water moving around!

#9 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

I think that he is desperatly trying to save his life getting back to the jet ski before the next wave comes...
Or maybe he is trying to save the photographer/jetski driver as one person is missing/not on the picture.

Holy cow, 40' waves, and watch those videos, this guys where very lucky!

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 06 June 2010 - 11:14 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#10 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

One word.... Insurance :D

Edited by jonny shaw, 10 June 2010 - 11:54 PM.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney