FYI - keep your insurance paperwork!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vetdiver

vetdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Running, hiking, attending beer festivals, and coveting shoes and new dive gear.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

I am sure this is a pretty isolated case, and I am also sure that most people here keep paperwork just in case, but I wanted to relay this....

I was updating my H2O insurance policy to reflect some gear changes and my new 7D camera rig (;)), and the policy number came up as invalid, with a "renewal" policy number then provided... and a renewal price that obviously reflected the cost of the entire policy for all items, not just the new stuff. Since my policy is not up for renewal until June, this surprised me. Greatly. A few phone calls revealed that they had no record of me renewing my policy last June, although I did it online about 2 weeks before the policy was due for renewal... I had the receipt and credit card statement, so it was all taken care of quickly, but the woman I spoke to initially was absolutely insistent that my policy had lapsed. (In retrospect, I never did get the full certificate, but I didn't notice, as I renewed the evening before I left for a 3-week trip to Indonesia.)

Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know about this - if I'd had a flood last year and not been able to dig up my paperwork, this could have been a bit of an issue!

Edited by vetdiver, 16 February 2010 - 12:26 PM.

Canon 7D_Subal housing_ YS250 strobes

www.avitsky.com

#2 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

I am sure this is a pretty isolated case, and I am also sure that most people here keep paperwork just in case, but I wanted to relay this....

I was updating my H2O insurance policy to reflect some gear changes and my new 7D camera rig ( ;) ), and the policy number came up as invalid, with a "renewal" policy number then provided... and a renewal price that obviously reflected the cost of the entire policy for all items, not just the new stuff. Since my policy is not up for renewal until June, this surprised me. Greatly. A few phone calls revealed that they had no record of me renewing my policy last June, although I did it online about 2 weeks before the policy was due for renewal... I had the receipt and credit card statement, so it was all taken care of quickly, but the woman I spoke to initially was absolutely insistent that my policy had lapsed. (In retrospect, I never did get the full certificate, but I didn't notice, as I renewed the evening before I left for a 3-week trip to Indonesia.)

Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know about this - if I'd had a flood last year and not been able to dig up my paperwork, this could have been a bit of an issue!

Thanks for the reminder. I have some new items I need to add to the insurance stuff.

I am going through my homwowners policy. Is there a better one for underwater photogs and/or divers?

Thanks
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I have some new items I need to add to the insurance stuff.

I am going through my homwowners policy. Is there a better one for underwater photogs and/or divers?

Thanks

It is my experience that Insurance Companies only pay out as a matter of good public relations and getting more business. They'll do anything to escape a claim so we all need to be very defensive about keeping our insurance details intact.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?