Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic introduces world's first 3xCMOS sensor 1080/50/60p camcorders, HDC-HS700/TM700

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:29 AM

Panasonic has introduced the world's first camcorder to record 1080p @ 50/60 fps, the HDC-HS700 and HDC-TM700. These cameras have 3x CMOS sensors which record 1080p at 28mbps H.264 (VBR) and a 46mm f1.5 Leica Dicomar lens, giving the camera good lowlight capabilities. The HS700 has a built-in 240GB HDD and SDHC/XC slot, while the TM700 has 32GB built-in with the slot. The HS700 goes for US$1399 and the TM700 US$999.95 are will be available soon.
They aren't the first 1080p60 camcorder. That distinction goes to Sanyo's VPC-FH1ABK. However they are the first with 3x sensor and it bodes well for the HMC series updates which should be coming soon as well.

Here is the press release:

SECAUCUS, NJ (February 9, 2010) – Panasonic today introduces two additions to its 2010 line of camcorders, the Panasonic HDC-HS700 and HDC-TM700, both Full High Definition (HD) 3MOS camcorders with 1920 x 1080 resolution. The new Panasonic HD camcorders combine 1080/60p recording – allowing them to capture expressive video without detail loss or Moiré pattern – with an advanced 3MOS system that produces vivid, true-to-life colors and excels in darkly-lit environments. The new HDC-HS700, records both to its large 240 GB* Hard Disk Drive or to an SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card. The HDC-TM700 has 32 GB of built-in memory as well as capability to record to SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards, and is the successor to last year’s popular and award-winning HDC-TM300. Both models have a 35mm wide-angle Leica lens and a manual ring for creative flexibility.

“For video enthusiasts looking for a feature-rich, high-performing, yet affordable High Definition Camcorder, Panasonic’s new TM700 and HS700 3MOS models will be a hit this year,” said Chris Rice, Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “Last year’s TM300 was extremely popular and won several honors and awards for its video quality and performance, so with the improvements we have made with the TM700/HS700, including extended zoom, wider-angles and a more advanced image stabilization system, we are excited to give consumers the ideal tool they need to capture their memories with superb quality.”

The high-sensitivity 3MOS system provides an effective video image pixel count of 7,590,000 pixels (2,530,000 pixels x 3) and separates the light received through the lens into the three primary colors – red, green and blue – processing each independently. The sensor shoots 14.2-megapixel still images (in Still Image mode) and 13.3-megapixel still images from recorded video. Even with this high pixel count, newly developed technology increases sensitivity and reduces noise by one-half to achieve vivid images with minimal noise. As a result, Panasonic’s 3MOS system enables excellent color reproduction, high resolution, rich gradation, and lets the user capture vividly colored images in bright or darkly-lit places.

The Panasonic HDC-TM700 and HDC-HS700 HD camcorders feature the newly designed, large-diameter F1.5 (46mm) Leica Dicomor lens, which provides the superb image rendering and not only suppresses ghosts and flare, but also minimizes the distortion and degradation of contrast and resolution. In addition, its 35mm** wide-angle capability makes it ideal for many different shooting situations, such as self-portraits, group photos, and landscape shots.

Both models feature a 12x optical zoom lens, which is further enhanced by Intelligent Resolution Technology to extend the zoom to an 18x Intelligent Zoom. The Intelligent Zoom corrects image degradation in ordinary digital zooming, extending the camera’s zoom ration to approximately 1.3x, while maintaining the image quality, thus delivering stunningly clear full-HD images***.

Both models feature a 3.0” touch-screen LCD that allows users to navigate by selecting icons on the display. These models also have a manual ring allowing creative flexibility, so users have intuitive control of the zoom, focus, aperture, shutter speed and white balance. An Electronic View Finder, earphone terminal and microphone terminal allow for even more control. The HDC-HS700 records to its 240 GB HDD, which can store 102 hours of recording (in HE mode). When combined with Panasonic’s new 64 GB SDXC Memory Card, the camcorder provides an additional recording time of 27 hours and 30 minutes. The HDC-TM700 has a 32 GB built-in memory for 13 hours and 40 minutes of recording (in HE mode).

Other features of the Panasonic HDC-HS700 and HDC-TM700 include:
Power O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) – Uses gyro sensors to detect hand-shake to reduce blurring. When the camcorder is held, it moves at low frequency due to the breathing of the operator or other slight movement. POWER O.I.S. corrects even the slightest movement approximately five times more effectively than the previous version.
iA (Intelligent Auto) – Function that automatically selects the most suitable shooting mode at the press of a button, and this year iA adds Face Recognition, which finds the faces of registered people and automatically optimizes the focus and exposure for them. In addition, the camcorder continues to track this subject as the person moves anywhere within the LCD frame. Up to six faces can be registered.
Smile Shot – Feature that automatically takes a still photo during video recording when it detects a smiling face.
5.1-Channel Surround Sound System with Zoom Microphone – Uses five microphones so when voices/sounds recorded from front, right, left and back are played back on a 5.1-channel home theatre system, viewers are surrounded by clear, detailed sound. The Zoom Microphone lets users zoom the sound only to hear the subject while continuing to record a wide-angle shot.
Wind Noise Canceller – An evolution from the previous wind noise reduction system, this advanced function automatically detects and suppresses wind noise only, to ensure only the natural sounds of the shooting environment remain.
Auto Power LCD – Automatically adjusts the brightness of the LCD screen according to the shooting environment. In dark places, the screen brightness is reduced to 1/3 the normal level to minimize the possibility of disturbing nearby people. In bright outdoor places, the screen brightness is increased to twice the normal level.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

From EngadgetPanasonic TM 700

From DigitalCameraReviewPanasonic TM 700

I used Sony HC-9 for my recreational underwater video for about 2 years. Since I am not a video expert, I hope someone can comment about Panasonic TM700 ,and compare to the upcoming Sony XR550, regarding their use on underwater videography.

Thank you for all your input.

Edmond

Edited by edmond320, 19 February 2010 - 09:05 AM.

#3 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

From EngadgetPanasonic TM 700

From DigitalCameraReviewPanasonic TM 700

I used Sony HC-9 for my recreational underwater video for about 2 years. Since I am not a video expert, I hope someone can comment about Panasonic TM700 ,and compare to the upcoming Sony XR550, regarding their use on underwater videography.

Thank you for all your input.

Edmond

Who besides Equinox is going to make a housing for it? (assuming they do since they make one for the TM300)

#4 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

Who besides Equinox is going to make a housing for it? (assuming they do since they make one for the TM300)

Seems that Fisheye is going to produce an universal housing which also fits Panasonic.
http://www.fisheye-j...unsl/index.html

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

I put all the Pana TM/HS700 threads together.

I haven't seen any clips from the camera but it is very exciting spec wise. 1080p50/60 at 28mbps would be awesome...IF it is supported by the big NLEs. It will be interesting to see how it does compared to the Canon HF series which has beautiful images but terrible interface (touchscreen controls, no viewfinder etc) for underwater use. If it is anything like the TM300, it will be combination of onscreen for access to white balance and exposure controls. It should be relatively accessible for manual housings which use the screen as a monitor.
The Sony XR550 is the least sexy in terms of format but it does have a wide lens and a programmable dial for MWB, something that is pretty important for UW shooters.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

Dam HD camera's popping out all over the place and so cheap.
Maybe time to get one and strap on me bike for some action shots.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

I'd stick with CCD sensors for that, Paul. CMOS still has wobble issues, even though it's a bit more controlled now with newer software.

Drew

#8 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

FYI, Aditech provide housing for Panasonic with full electronic control
Aditech

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

It's very cool that Mangrove has one too. The TM700 looks very nice if the clips look good. I'd make sure of your NLE supports it before buying, especially if you are a mac user.
I have to wonder if the WP80 is optimized for the TM700 though, another thing to check out. The new lens is larger at 46mm, which complicates the issue.

Drew

#10 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

Here you have the detail information
Panasonic HDC-HS700 official site

#11 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Finally I found in Italy a affordable housing for the TM300: NIMAR
I contated the company to see if they already tested the new TM700 with their housing.
They start from a standard model and they can customize the housing on your request.

Here a mini test (sorry in Italian) with an extreme modding: internal monitor with 12 different commands (among the others WB, Shutter and Gain) plus a standard wide angle lens of 90°.

http://www.videosubi...a.asp?IDNews=10

You can see also a very long uw video shoot without and with hid lights:

http://www.videosubi...noFLV/anti.html

It's the mediterranean sea, not tropical water!

For tropical water you can see a video with a similar housing and lens, shoot with a Canon HV20

http://www.videosubi..._2008_hv20.html

Bye

#12 max_nmdt

max_nmdt

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

I've seen on Camcorder Info the rating of this camera and is very interesting... is the best also for low light !!!

http://www.camcorder...com/ratings.php

#13 Insomniac982

Insomniac982

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

Dam HD camera's popping out all over the place and so cheap.
Maybe time to get one and strap on me bike for some action shots.

I would go with the GoPRO hero HD for that. :lol: i have one and its great. Still want to take it under water but have yet to do so. $250 including sport housing. waterproof rated to 60m deep
GoPro Camera

#14 Guamrider

Guamrider

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

If anyone is thinking about getting the camera Iv'e got the ops manual pdf and I'd be glad to send it to you. Just email me at info@avpguam.com.

#15 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

It was just released here in Australia a couple weeks ago as a HDC-SD700.

I shot a few minutes of video in store under rather low lighting conditions and edited the 1920x1080 50p clips in Edius 5.5 (which handles the AVCHD easily). I was impressed enough to buy it! Razor sharp and very clean even in relatively low light. 28 mbps H.264 is comparable to HDV/mpeg2 @ 50mbps...and the quality of the results show this. I don't know how Pana achieved such good results from 1/4 inch chips.

I'm going to make a machined "compact capsule" housing incorporating the Seadragon 110 optics. If I'm happy with it I might do a production run in about 2 months time. One complication for all housings for this camera is that Panasonic have changed the AV out from standard 3.5mm to yet another stupid proprietary plug. Connecting an external monitor is going to be very difficult/impossible to do in a practical way.

Obviously its no Canon 5D2...but I'm hoping they will complement each other nicely. So far so good. More info when I do some careful comparisons...

The pic shows size relative to a Sony HC1 HDV (with a big battery). By luck, the Nikon wide converter WC-E68 fits the Pana nicely.

Attached Images

• Pana_SD700.JPG

Edited by HDVdiver, 30 April 2010 - 11:50 PM.

#16 Guamrider

Guamrider

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

Word of caution. If anyone gets the camera don't make the same mistake I've made. I always get a few spare batteries and bought a non Panasonic one listed for the TM-300/350 and the 700. It doesn't work. It will work in the 300, but not the new 700.

The camera tells you that it's not the correct battery and shuts off. A local Panasonic store owner told me that the camera recognizes only the Panasonic batteries with the chip built in them that's used to indicate time remaining on the battery. Finally bought one from B & H and am waiting for it.

#17 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:02 AM

[b] A local Panasonic store owner told me that the camera recognizes only the Panasonic batteries with the chip built in them that's used to indicate time remaining on the battery.

Sony have been using this trick for the last five years...But some high quality Chinese clones eventually defeated the chip problem.

The same will probably happen very soon for the Pana batteries.

#18 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:30 AM

I got some input from a couple of friends who used the new 700 and the old 300 recently in Malpelo.

Both have a strong green color cast very difficult to eliminate in post poduction... So be careful :)

They were filming for an upcoming competition, so I hope they will post some short piece without correction.

A side note:

The TM700 has the exposure adjustment via the lens ring but... It works only with the flip monitor closed and the video out it's under the panel :)

It's a rip-off :B):

Edited by Long John Silver, 11 May 2010 - 05:32 AM.

#19 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

I got some input from a couple of friends who used the new 700 and the old 300 recently in Malpelo.

Both have a strong green color cast very difficult to eliminate in post poduction... So be careful :)

It's a rip-off

If it's correctly set up the TM/SD700 renders colors beautifully. After spending the last few days doing side by side comparisons with a Canon 5d2, Canon7D and a Sony HC1 & Sony EX1, I think the Pana renders color more naturally than the others. All digital cameras have their own characteristic rendition/bias of color gamut. Some tend to be warm/yellowish (Canon, Sony)...others cooler (Panasonic, Nikon). That's just the way it is. It's easy to adjust in post if necessary.

The Pana blows the Canon DSLR's "out of the water" in terms of image resolution. I won't even comment on the HC1...but to be fair it's pretty old technology now...even though Sony are still flogging the A1 version.

Even though Panasonic conservatively rate resolution as 800 lines and the EX1 supposedly does 1000 lines...to my eyes it is a tad sharper than the EX1. This is also what SlashCam.com results show:

http://camcorder-tes...ampair-EN.shtml

You can also see color renditions of the same subject at that site link.

If any of them is a "rip off" it's the Canon 7D...what a total disappointment! I've never had a new camera for so little time before getting rid of it. Even tried two others in case I somehow got a dud. All were just as bad in terms of video image resolution. The Canon 5D2 was much better than the 7D, but didn't quite compare to the Pana in terms of resolution or aliasing/moire. Not even to mention the lame AGC on the 7D (the Pana has a manual audio gain option...and zebra).

The main constraint of the TM/SD700 is the lack of useful manual controls. Most things are touch screen, menu driven...which I dislike intensely. But its not a pro camera and its a bargain for what you get in terms of outstanding video image quality. Also, the responsiveness/accuracy of both AF and AE is excellent... which largely makes up for it's limited manual options.

I'm not sure how well the two frame grabs will show the difference between the Panasonic (top) and the Canon 5D2 (bottom) on a web page. Notice the aliasing/artifacting (around the word "Cabot's") in the Canon photo. This is dynamic...ie it "sparkles" during video playback and is quite noticeable onscreen. Canon 7D results were also far worse in terms of image sharpness. Canon lens used was the 24-105mm L series. Unless Canon (or probably Nikon) can solve some of the serious issues associated with "line skipping" in big sensors, I'm beginning to think VideoDSLR's might be just a passing fad after all...

By the way...I don't see any "green color cast" in the Panasonic image. No retouching/correction was done to either frame.

Attached Images

• Panasonic_SD700.jpg
  • Canon_5D2.jpg

Edited by HDVdiver, 11 May 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#20 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

By the way...I don't see any "green color cast" in the Panasonic image. No retouching/correction was done to either frame.

I understand your explanation that actually is the same as in many sites and we can see examples of TM700 shots on vimeo but keep in mind that all these shots are above the water.
What I understand form many discussions on italian uw video forums, it's like the color balance settings of the camere are somehow screwed up while underwater.

Would be nice to see some uw shot without correction.

Bye