• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redshft

redshft

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hello all. I am obviously new here and honestly, not much into underwater videography or photography. I am however into videography and photography on land and am a student in Media Production at East Carolina University. As I'll soon be graduating, I'm hoping to trade in my Nikon D70 for the new Canon 7D. Being a full time college student and low on funds, purchasing a $2,000 camera can be hard to justify. My father has given me some of his old underwater gear to help me raise funds. He used to own a dive shop about 15 years ago, and at the time was big into underwater video and photography. In the past years, busy schedules have taken control and we have both gotten out of the diving hobby.

The gear he has donated to me is a Light and Motion Stingray housing and a Nikonos SB-103 strobe.

My question is, being these both were very high end products years ago, what are they worth these days? They both appear to be in very good condition. I'm sure the strobe can be used today with a DSLR or even point and shoot without a problem. The housing on the other hand was built for a Hi8 camcorder and obviously...those are a dying breed now. Is it possible the housing is still good for hand held camcorders being sold today? Is it possible it can be modified to work with the popular cameras being used?

Any information regarding these two items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

#2 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

Here's how I fitted a little miniDV cam to a stingray housing.
Works really well.
Posted Image

More images here

Edited by Panda, 20 February 2010 - 11:10 PM.

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2

#3 redshft

redshft

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Panda! That's good stuff. I'm pretty sure with a little bit of DIY and modification it can be made to work with newer cameras sold today.

I also should note that the housing also includes a Sunray lighting system.

#4 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

The Nikonos SB-103 strobe was recalled a number of years ago and was replaced by the SB-105. See the following link:

SB-103 Recall

I don't know the value of the strobe in today's market but I can't imagine a strobe that was recalled would have much value.

When I was on a dive trip many years ago, a friend was telling me that Nikon sent him a brand new SB-105 to replace the SB-103 that he had.

If you're able to get a hold of an SB-105 strobe, it could be used on manual with today's cameras. I used this strobe with my D70S some years back and still keep it as a backup strobe.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#5 redshft

redshft

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

The Nikonos SB-103 strobe was recalled a number of years ago and was replaced by the SB-105. See the following link:

SB-103 Recall

I don't know the value of the strobe in today's market but I can't imagine a strobe that was recalled would have much value.

When I was on a dive trip many years ago, a friend was telling me that Nikon sent him a brand new SB-105 to replace the SB-103 that he had.

If you're able to get a hold of an SB-105 strobe, it could be used on manual with today's cameras. I used this strobe with my D70S some years back and still keep it as a backup strobe.

Ellen

Thanks for the info! I guess it's a safe bet it's too late to replace the 103 with the 105 now.

#6 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info! I guess it's a safe bet it's too late to replace the 103 with the 105 now.

I would not assume that if I were you. It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe Nikon will send you an SB-105 to replace the recalled SB-103 even though the recall was many years ago. That's if they still have one in stock, which may not be the case. But, for sure, go ahead and ask.

Let us know what happens.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#7 nastiakin

nastiakin

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

i do not know either

#8 Engvall

Engvall

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

I found a SB103 cheap last August and took a chance that I would be able to trade it for SB105. The replacement program is still in effect and Nikon keep track of the serial number of the units they replace. Mine had already been replaced, as you don't always have to send in the unit.