• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Sony says they are going to produce a compact APS camera with interchangeable lenses.
Sony announcement

With this and other recent announcements we may finally gets some compact housings that can hold high performance cameras.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Sony says they are going to produce a compact APS camera with interchangeable lenses.
Sony announcement

With this and other recent announcements we may finally gets some compact housings that can hold high performance cameras.

Very cool....

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

There may be so many of these systems that the housing manufactures will not know which one to support.

Doesn't Sony sell sensors to Nikon? I wonder if Nikon will make a camera system with this sensor (the Sony), or one of their own?

My Website

#4 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

There may be so many of these systems that the housing manufactures will not know which one to support.

Doesn't Sony sell sensors to Nikon? I wonder if Nikon will make a camera system with this sensor (the Sony), or one of their own?

It's a "standard" aps-c size sensor, probably a new generation though. Sure, there will be several nikon camera using this sensor but not necesaarily mirrorless ones. New sony DSLRs will also share this sensor for sure.
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#5 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Yes on the sensor. I was just speculating that considering Sony's past history, that they might sell it to other companies for similar type camera systems.

Besides the 4/3rds systems and the coming Sony system, you have compact cameras with larger sensors coming from a number of companies. I count the Lecia system, both FF and APS, the Samsung NX system, Sigma DP series, the Ricoh GXR, and probably others I can't think of.

This type of camera looks like the next wave in digital photography. The compact sizes could have a lot of benefits for UW photography.

I suspect the world of underwater housing manufactures are waiting to see what Cannon and Nikon come up with. Those are the two 800 lb. gorillas of this industry and are what the housing manufactures are most likely to support.

From what I read here, and on DPreview, it seems like a lot of photographers have a Panasonic LX3 camera they carry with them for it's compactness. I suspect most of them, like me, would like a similar camera with a larger sensor and SLR quality AF.

My Website

#6 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:46 AM

Yes on the sensor. I was just speculating that considering Sony's past history, that they might sell it to other companies for similar type camera systems.

Besides the 4/3rds systems and the coming Sony system, you have compact cameras with larger sensors coming from a number of companies. I count the Lecia system, both FF and APS, the Samsung NX system, Sigma DP series, the Ricoh GXR, and probably others I can't think of.

This type of camera looks like the next wave in digital photography. The compact sizes could have a lot of benefits for UW photography.

I suspect the world of underwater housing manufactures are waiting to see what Cannon and Nikon come up with. Those are the two 800 lb. gorillas of this industry and are what the housing manufactures are most likely to support.

From what I read here, and on DPreview, it seems like a lot of photographers have a Panasonic LX3 camera they carry with them for it's compactness. I suspect most of them, like me, would like a similar camera with a larger sensor and SLR quality AF.

I think canon and Nikon will be the last or not jumping on the ship at all. It's a difficult decision for the housing makers, because they have to redesign the port system as well to get the best out of the system. I'm happy that ikelite also considering to release a housing in Q3 2010 for the olympus m4/3 cameras. I'm sure that after some modification these housing shells can be accomodated to the panasonic and sony cameras as well.

Regarding the sony sensor, they will surely sell it to nikon (pentax etc) and not just for mirrorless systems but it will be the standard sensor in several dsrl cameras.
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/