Canon EOS 5DMk2 firmware2.04 is now available

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

In the "no kidding this was a pretty well known secret caegory" comes the official Canon word is it is coming mid-March.

24P/25P (30P is now 29.97)

Histogram display

Ability to set audio levels and audio increased from 44.1Khz to 48Khz

http://web.canon.jp/...2/firmware.html

Edited by Drew, 19 March 2010 - 08:31 PM.
Updated for link

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

The long awaited firmware update that gives the Canon 5D Mark II has been announced by Canon. The new 2.03 firmware will add:
  • 24(23.976)/25/29.97/30 fps at 1080p and 25fps at 1080p and 480p
  • Aperture Priority Av Mode
  • shutter priority Tv mode
  • manual audio gain,
  • 48khz audio sampling
  • a new video mode histogram

This removes the need for magic lantern hack firmware for the most part except for the loss of the "zebra" function, which was really highlights warnings on all the time, a very useful tool for run and gunners.

The firmware is scheduled to be available by the middle of March.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

Shame they couldn't squeeze out the 50/60 fps @720p like the 7D and 1DmkIV...

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#4 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

Shame they couldn't squeeze out the 50/60 fps @720p like the 7D and 1DmkIV...

[ Cynical Mode = ON ]

What and slaughter the potential sales as punters migrate / upgrade to a 7D?

[ Cynical Mode = OFF ]

To be fair Nikon have never managed a worthwhile firmware update to cameras in the field as far as I can recall, let's exclude bug fixes.

To be honest I can't see from a marketing perspective why Canon are doing this at all other than to close down on the need for some of the hacks.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#5 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

Question for you video guys: What would it be like to shoot 5D2 video in aperture priority mode? It would be nice to maintain focus at a fixed aperture for hyperfocal distance and get propper exposure at the same time, but what would a constantly changing shutter speed do to the quality of the video?

Edited by AndreSmith, 05 March 2010 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

Depends on the look you want Andre. Hopefully the minimum shutter speed stays at 1/30. Depending on what look I want, 1/40-1/120 (for ramping/slo mo) is about the max I go for. So in aperture priority, I think it'll mess with ISO as well as shutter speed. So you'd have to watch for ISO noise as well.
My mistakes with the video from HDSLR is assuming the 8 bit H.264 actually can handle real post with major post correction. It can't really.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

Drew, do you edit the raw files or convert them ?

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Pro Res LT or 444 depending on what I want to do. Conversion only brings what is there, and 8 bit H.264 isn't much. But I'm talking about serious post, with Twixtor 23.976 etc etc.
Basically shoot as close to the look you want, with proper white balance and curves preloaded. Picture styles is very decent for that.

Drew

#9 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Canon's finally come through You can get it here. http://web.canon.jp/...2/firmware.html

A good explanation of the changes is on Phillup Blooms site with some samples using the new code.

Have fun,
Steve

Edited by Steve Williams, 15 March 2010 - 07:46 PM.

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#10 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

looks like that's this afternoons job! thanks for the heads up...

#11 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Canon's finally come through You can get it here. http://web.canon.jp/...2/firmware.html

A good explanation of the changes is on Phillup Blooms site with some samples using the new code.

Have fun,
Steve

Have been kicking around whether to leave the 5D as is ever since I saw this coming. Maybe I just get a 7D for the other frame rates ;)

#12 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Have been kicking around whether to leave the 5D as is ever since I saw this coming. Maybe I just get a 7D for the other frame rates ;)

all done, so easy.

but yeah shame about the frame rates... 5dmkII still seems to have the low light edge over the 7d. The new live histogram is nice. Audio levels control a bit clunky to get to and of course a firmware update ain't goin' add a headphone jack...

I played with a loaner 1DmkIV (thanks Jay at Canon in Sydney) over the weekend, the video 50/60fps looks sweet form that, but the odd-sized sensor and the incumbent wide angle dilemmas that brings with it, continues to make me stumble...

#13 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:03 AM

The new live histogram is nice.

Is it fully live during recording of video? There was something mentioned on another site (people on boards) where the live view histogram went away when recording started. But was not too sure of the credibility of the poster since they were anonymous and they posted before the camera was released...

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

The firmware is now available. Use with care ;)

http://web.canon.jp/...2/firmware.html

Drew

#15 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Is it fully live during recording of video? There was something mentioned on another site (people on boards) where the live view histogram went away when recording started. But was not too sure of the credibility of the poster since they were anonymous and they posted before the camera was released...

Just tried it out- histogram disappears when you hit record.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#16 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

Just tried it out- histogram disappears when you hit record.

Thanks for that. Guess it may have been too much to keep it going during recording, but still all in all it is great that Canon bought extras to the table.

#17 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Canon Notice

Thank you for using Canon products.

We have learned that some users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark II digital SLR camera are experiencing issues with Firmware Update Version 2.0.3.

We are working on a new firmware update to address these phenomena, which will be available soon. If you have not registered your EOS 5D Mark II, please register so we will be able to notify you via e-mail when future firmware updates become available for download.

Canon always strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these phenomena may have caused. We appreciate your kind patronage and support.

#18 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

Canon Notice

It'd be nice to know what to expect in advance wouldn't it...

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

It's a minor issue with C1-3 recording no audio if you do not turn it to M or other modes first. Starting up in C1-3 will have no audio recorded. Shows you how often people shoot with C1-3 that the beta testers didn't find this.

I'm moving this as it should stay under the firmware so people can find out about this while searching.

Drew

#20 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

so my camera bag is not going to burst into flames then... that's a relief :)