• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:44 AM

Thought I'd start a discussion on the Nauticam D700 - as it hasn't been discussed yet!

AUS10_am_11677.jpg

Similar design philosophy to other Nauticam housings, although without the piano keys of the Canon 7D. Ergonomics are very impressive.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:48 AM

Thought I'd start a discussion on the Nauticam D700 - as it hasn't been discussed yet!

AUS10_am_11677.jpg

Similar design philosophy to other Nauticam housings, although without the piano keys of the Canon 7D. Ergonomics are very impressive.

Alex

The European housing manufacturers had better take notice if they want to stay in business, is my overall impression having played with Nauticam at DEMA.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:54 AM

looks like a large port opening, very good for some of those bigger lenses

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:04 AM

looks like a large port opening, very good for some of those bigger lenses

Or port adaptor for various housings...

I have the rig for a review - which I'll post on Wetpixel once my impressions are formulated (post diving).

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:32 AM

I was a little disappointed to not see any subal port adaptors on the nauticam website. And their website needs a little work. For instance, on the port adapter page, those tiny images are 3 megabytes a piece. It's nice that you can view them fullscreen if you know how, but just make them clickable then and only show 10MB in images if someone wants to.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:41 AM

Alex I have to say with the side by side, it sure looks like Japanese manga vs Austrian sleek. That Nauticam controls really stick out vs the Subal. Will be interesting to see the how you like the big controls. That porthole looks like it can fit those Zeiss Compact Primes :)

Cor, I think that's fair to say for most every manufacturer who have a tendency to have more design issues with their website than their housings. ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

The large portholes on the nauticam are a design decision afaik. They are intentionally large so they can fit port adapters for other manufacturers while remaining flush with the housing. So you dont actually add a 'port extension' and increase the port distance.

#8 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

Cor;

There are Subal Port adapters for 3rd & 4th generation ports available. Yes they need more photos, but there's probably moe parts shown than alot of sites. Ikelite doesn't have very good photos of it's ports either...They're still unpacking parts....

Posted Image

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 02 March 2010 - 08:41 AM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#9 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

Ah, I checked here: http://www.nauticam....list-b.asp?id=5

Seems like it would be useful to add Subal to the list.

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

Just to say, I am going to resist posting my impressions until I have dived the housing and tried it in a range of diving conditions and spent more time with it. I am also going to let my buddies here dive it, to get a range of opinions on the ergonomics. Then after this trip I'll write a details review for Wetpixel. I think that this is better than saying too much now and then maybe changing my mind later!

There is no doubt that it is an impressive housing in terms of build quality and ergonomic solutions. Some areas need refinement, other solutions move the game on, being the best solution I have seen on any housing. When you look up how much (or should I say little) it costs compared to other brands its a marvel.

Alex

#11 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

I was a little disappointed to not see any subal port adaptors on the nauticam website. And their website needs a little work. For instance, on the port adapter page, those tiny images are 3 megabytes a piece. It's nice that you can view them fullscreen if you know how, but just make them clickable then and only show 10MB in images if someone wants to.

Hi Cor,

Here is the housing with viewfinder, strobes etc - with the 60mm and 60mm port from Subal on. I have a Nauticam port too - but want to test the adaptors - as that is what many potential users will be considering.

AUS10_am_11694.jpg

Alex

#12 greedo5678

greedo5678

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Alex,

looks like a great set up, and putting the computer around the bouyancy foam... great touch. is it just where you have put it for now so u dont forget it, or do u dive like that, kinda heads up display style. Do many photographers do this?

Never thought of that but will give it a go.

Sorry for going a little off topic...

Olly
Kahoy EcoDivers Resort, S. Leyte, PH.
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7, Canon 100, Tokina 10-17, Canon 18-55, Twin Inon Z-240s, Anthis Woody Dipotre, homemade snoot.
MY GALLERY

#13 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

Alex,

looks like a great set up, and putting the computer around the bouyancy foam... great touch. is it just where you have put it for now so u dont forget it, or do u dive like that, kinda heads up display style. Do many photographers do this?

Never thought of that but will give it a go.

Sorry for going a little off topic...

Olly

I've been diving with the computer on the arm for a while - the foam is great for that, but this is the first time I have seen anyone else do it. It does work well.
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#14 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

I've been diving with the computer on the arm for a while - the foam is great for that, but this is the first time I have seen anyone else do it. It does work well.

Whoa, what a great idea! I dive with a console computer and one or two old hockey puck style ones in a pocket or clipped on the BC. I will mount one of the back-ups on a floatey arm next outing. Thanks.
Bob

Edited by Deep6, 02 March 2010 - 07:28 PM.

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#15 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Since I have had that computer I put it there. There are many pictures of me in circulation with it like that! For example in this article here!

It is not a Nauticam specific feature. Its a STiX feature!

Alex

#16 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

We see lots of guests here with their dive computer mounted on a strobe arm. Japanese guests especially.

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk

#17 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Mine lives on my strobe arm. I don't bother with floats, but it threads thru my ultra light arms no worries. Although this is more from lacking the effort to take it off and on every day than anythig else.
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#18 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

that reminds me, i need batteries for my computer :clapping: thanks

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#19 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:03 AM

To get back on topic. Two dives with the housing today. First with 60mm, second with 15mm FE and TC.

Did a TTL test of the optical TTL system on the morning dive. TTL produced consistent and accurate exposures across a wide range of apertures.

TTL_optical_test.jpg

D700 + 60mm. Nauticam housing. 2x Inon Z240 strobes. All 1/250th @ ISO 200. Aperture indicated in photos. Strobes on TTL through out.

Alex

#20 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:54 AM

The system as you have it, would be very close to my choice. So it's very positive to see such good ttl results. Can't wait to see your review.