5 replies to this topic

#1 martys

martys

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, photography

Posted 15 October 2003 - 08:34 PM

I'm trying to put together a carry on with all my u/w camera gear in it before I go to Cozumel next month. As I look at everything in there, I know the (4) 12" Ultra Light arms are going give me problems with airport security. Has anyone tried carrying theirs through as carry on successfully?

My fear is security will view these as potential "bludgening devices" and confiscate them, leaving me without strobe arms upon arrival.

thanks,
Marty
Marty Steinberg - http://martysteinberg.com or http://martys.spaces.live.com
Canon 5D / Canon 10D / Subal C10 / Dual Ike DS125's / ULCS arms

#2 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:14 PM

Hi!

It's very hard to say. I had to check in my Leatherman add-on (the little hold for the hex bits and a few bits) while a lady next to me was carrying her extendable (pretty pointy) hiking sticks.
There is a quite general rule that leaves much space for interpretation in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR). My experience is as follows: the more common the item, the better the chance to take it with you.
There's also a section on diving equipment (flash, torches, tanks, oxygen, ...). The only problem is that the DGR is hard to get (they cash for the copy).
IATA website

Some check-in personnel doesn't really know it and it depends on the mass of divers they've experienced. I had severe problems to take my torches on board as carry-on in México City e.g..
I had to late-check-in the torch which resulted in some problems to get it at home (it didn't show up on the belt but was kept at the lost-and-found). That's an option.

What I now do (it's the hard way and you possibly fail) is to ask for a written statement by the airline. That may include to send them some specification (photo, dimensions, info on the material) if they don't know what's it all about.
I stuff all the bits that will survive check-in into my trunk, the more sensitive parts (torches, housing, camera) are carry-on.

Cross your fiongers, I'm leaving to Cyprus tomorrow. 20K allowance. There will be lots of discussion about the devices I'll carry in my pockets ;-)

Helge ;-)=)
Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...

#3 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:52 PM

I don't think you need to carry your ULCS arm sections in your carry-on. These are very rugged pieces of gear, and should be happy to travel in your dive gear bag.

I carry mine in the dive bag in a long zippered nylon pouch I found somewhere, which probably provides a little protection against scratching and banging around, but is mainly just to keep them together in one place. Clamps and other bits and pieces are carried in a velvet draw-string bag that once cradled a bottle of Chivas Royal Salute.
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#4 Reefwreck

Reefwreck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:26 AM

I recently travelled through five different countries with all my camera gear including ULCS arm segements (longest only 8 inches) and ULCS double tray in my carry-on. My bag was manually checked at virtually every security checkpoint. The ULCS stuff wasn't the culprit. Security always went straight for the WAL. I can only assume it looked odd on the x-ray.

Rdelfs, I use a "recycled" blue Crown Royal bag for a similar purpose. :D
Nikon D200, Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm with Nikon 6T Close-up lens, NEXUS Housing, Inon Z-220 and Z-240, Sea&Sea TTL Converter

BLOG

http://allenhost.com/gallery/reefwreck

#5 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:42 AM

Ah, Crown Royal. Seagram, when it existed, was a great company that made some fine products. Crown Royal was one of the best. I worked for Seagram (as a consultant) for quite a number of years. I could never quite get used to the idea of being paid to goout to a nightclub in Beijing and get completely pissed on Cordon Bleu, but in retrospect I have to admit it was a great gig while it lasted.

R.
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#6 martys

martys

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, photography

Posted 16 October 2003 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for the tips folks! I wasn't as concerned about protecting the arms from damage as I was from loss - like loss / theft of checked luggage. I try to keep one day's clothing, a bathing suit and my prescription mask in my backpack in case my bags shows up late. I can always rent dive gear or buy clothes, but I don't want to think about diving without my camera :D

thanks again,
Marty

-oh, and thanks Eric for the tip on the Stormcase 2500! It's a very nice case.
Marty Steinberg - http://martysteinberg.com or http://martys.spaces.live.com
Canon 5D / Canon 10D / Subal C10 / Dual Ike DS125's / ULCS arms