Congrats DEEP 2010 Winners

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:19 AM

See some familiar faces and friends in the list, congrats to all!

DEEP 2010

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Way to go folks! Did you catch what Laz won?

Cheers!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

Cheers!
Steve

LOL, did not until you mentioned it.

#4 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

Cheers!
Steve

love it.

well done to everyone.

Pedro Carrillo
Spain
"Lightnemone"

what a fantastic shot this is.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#5 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Way to go Karel!!

... and congrats to all the other winners!
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#6 Stephen H.

Stephen H.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

Some astonishing photo's,

Congrats to all the winners!
Steve, www.holinskiphoto.smugmug.com
Canon G10, S&S YS110a, Inon UCL165

#7 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Congratz to all the winners! Stunning shots indeed ;)

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#8 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

Cheers!
Steve

;)
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#9 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Congrats to eveyone. But I gotta say, David Barrio's Seahorse with the fish is un-real. WOW!

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#10 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

Laz won a what? LOL

Congrats all that placed some special images in that collection.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#11 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

Great shots all.

Laz - er - how about a trip report after that one then ?

Plan B - maybe you can sell the seat to Jim ?

Paul C

Edited by PRC, 15 March 2010 - 11:00 AM.

Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#12 Nigel Motyer

Nigel Motyer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

Gianni Pecchiar's silver in the diver catagory is the overall winner for me.

Stunning use of form and light, anybody who has tried to do that kind of image will know what it takes. Wonderful vision and flawless execution. Looks like the model is on snorkle too.
www.nigelmotyer.com

#13 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

Craaap. I totally missed that. Too late to do anything about it, but I'll try...
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Great images everyone; congratulations!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#15 NCmermaid

NCmermaid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

Craaap. I totally missed that. Too late to do anything about it, but I'll try...

Eric, if Laz would like a nice autographed book by Wyland, I'll be willing to switch with him...you know, just to help you out ;) ...

Karen
Nikon D300, S&S MDX300 housing, YS90DX & 110 strobes, ULCS arms, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 12-24mm, Nikon 60mm macro

My Galleries:
http//www.karendoody.com

#16 MattDPG

MattDPG

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Traveling, Basketball, Food, Wildlife photography

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

Eric, if Laz would like a nice autographed book by Wyland, I'll be willing to switch with him...you know, just to help you out ;) ...

Karen

Karen, you're always willing to help out :) Congrats to you on your win and everyone else, too.

#17 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:01 AM

Some truly great work in this competition.

But reviewing the images, one thing stood out - Why are the images watermarked with " underwatercompetition.com/wetpixel.com & divephotoguide.com"?

The rules for the 2009 competition (see 2009 Rules) clearly state:-

"Photographers retain all copyrights to their images. Wetpixel.com, DivePhotoGuide.com, and UnderwaterCompetition.com retain the right to publish the contest entries in print or online to congratulate or feature the winners and their respective images, and to promote future events. Winning images will be included in a press release for third party websites and publications in the context of congratulating and/or featuring the winners and winning images, and to promote future competitions. Strict guidelines requiring photo credit and specific one-time press release usage are issued along with the press release"

Marking images with notices as written implies that ownership has been taken from the photographer and assigned to Wetpixel, Underwatercompetition and divephotoguide and contradicts the published rules. Copyright ownership is valuable and to indicate anything other than the rightful owner is not something I would feel comfortable with, if it were my images in question.

last week I used the "Contact us" form to point out the contradiction between what the rules say and how the images have been watermarked, but there has been no reply.

Any comments?

Edited by decosnapper, 22 March 2010 - 03:04 AM.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#18 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:18 AM

Any comments?

Eric and Jason are all the judges and in cahoots for a massive right grab and changed the Rules for the 2010 Competition since none of them can take a decent underwater image or video :) (Joking - the 2010 rules are the same as 2009, they are all rights grabbing despite the rules :) )

Anyway, kidding aside (and I also strong believer in preserving IP rights for people) there was a post recently for one of the contests where someone here mentioned a contest should have watermarked the winning images to protect them since they were posted on-line - pretty sure it was Beneath The Sea and most of the images in 2010 now do have a watermark, albeit without the copyright notice, or somehow since it is on the UWC site someone marked it in the context of the site's overall copyright. (Without getting into all the details of whether that is correct or not.)

If I were to guess, OWU and DEEP may have just marked them quickly via a batch watermark so that if the images were taken from the OWU/DEEP posts, there was something that was clear there was a copyright. With the upcoming BTS show, they may not have had time to respond and I would suspect if any of the owners of the images complained/had an issue, it may have been addressed quicker

In other words I think it is in error rather than anything else, more so in light of the people involved and my personal opinion of them (though of course that means nothing legally). I would bet dollars to donuts if someone contacted the organizers about the images they would pass it onto the photographers. Not trying to dismiss what you are saying, but this is not one of those situations where I would be personally too concerned about the situation being properly handled or there being an assignment of rights.

#19 JasonDPG

JasonDPG

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Conceptual Photography, Ocean Conservation, Internet Businesses, Snowboarding

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:09 AM

Eric and Jason are all the judges and in cahoots for a massive right grab and changed the Rules for the 2010 Competition since none of them can take a decent underwater image or video :) (Joking - the 2010 rules are the same as 2009, they are all rights grabbing despite the rules :) )

Anyway, kidding aside (and I also strong believer in preserving IP rights for people) there was a post recently for one of the contests where someone here mentioned a contest should have watermarked the winning images to protect them since they were posted on-line - pretty sure it was Beneath The Sea and most of the images in 2010 now do have a watermark, albeit without the copyright notice, or somehow since it is on the UWC site someone marked it in the context of the site's overall copyright. (Without getting into all the details of whether that is correct or not.)

If I were to guess, OWU and DEEP may have just marked them quickly via a batch watermark so that if the images were taken from the OWU/DEEP posts, there was something that was clear there was a copyright. With the upcoming BTS show, they may not have had time to respond and I would suspect if any of the owners of the images complained/had an issue, it may have been addressed quicker

In other words I think it is in error rather than anything else, more so in light of the people involved and my personal opinion of them (though of course that means nothing legally). I would bet dollars to donuts if someone contacted the organizers about the images they would pass it onto the photographers. Not trying to dismiss what you are saying, but this is not one of those situations where I would be personally too concerned about the situation being properly handled or there being an assignment of rights.

Just want to jump in and clear a few things up here.

We unequivocally do not own any interest in any copyrights or image usage permissions beyond what the guidelines of the site state. However, as it was pointed out (thank you!), the copyright notice on the images is indeed an incorrect usage of the symbol, and a legacy issue of having an automated function that does this watermarking. It is only done so with the intention of disuading anyone from using these images (as Drew correctly pointed out). In reality we should have the watermark without the symbol. But rest assured that the competition is run by photographers (Eric and myself) who take copyrights and image usage guidelines very seriously. In fact, I've been part of a small group (along with Chris Crumley, and Roger Roth) that "policies" some of the other competitions to ensure that their guidelines do not take advantages of photographers. There are too many competitions that assume significant usage rights for all entries and/or winning images.

We do get inquiries from magazines about image usage and several competition winners have had their images licensed and published as a result, including a cover shot for Unterwasser magazine last year (which pays well compared to most dive magazines BTW). In all instances we directly connect the publishers with the photographers and are not involved in or benefit financially from the licensing. We are only happy and proud that we can facilitate this from time to time and hope that the additional exposure can result in more image licensing for more of the winners.

Moving forward we'll fix the incorrect addition of the symbol and only have the watermark. Thanks for pointing it out! :)
**************************************************************************************
Jason Heller
www.DivePhotoGuide.com | www.JasonHeller.com
| www.UnderwaterCompetition.com | www.NYUPS.org

#20 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

Just want to jump in and clear a few things up here.

We unequivocally do not own any interest in any copyrights or image usage permissions beyond what the guidelines of the site state. However, as it was pointed out (thank you!), the copyright notice on the images is indeed an incorrect usage of the symbol, and a legacy issue of having an automated function that does this watermarking. ............................................There are too many competitions that assume significant usage rights for all entries and/or winning images.

We do get inquiries from magazines ..................................... for more of the winners.

Moving forward we'll fix the incorrect addition of the symbol and only have the watermark. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Thanks for the clarifications Jason. I pretty much guessed that an automated widget had stuck the notice on, but then again assumption is the mother of all cock-ups. There was ambiguity - never a good situation with respect to anything, let alone copyright - and it needed sorting.

There are many copyright grab based contests out there.......it's down to photgraphers who care to police them.... :)
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com