Wow.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#2 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

Truly amazing.
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Wonder what housing he used! ;)
Only kidding; pretty amazing dedication to the craft.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

http://www.dailymail...ing-months.html

Wow.

Wow is right.

#5 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

No split shots?
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#6 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Fantastic images and dedication.

Someone - send that man a drysuit

#7 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

Someone - send that man a drysuit

That's exactly what I was thinking! Perhaps he wanted the "full" experience with worms and all...

#8 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

Fantastic shots but he is an igit ...

#9 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Taking Pictures above and under water.<br />I also spearfish i Dk and Norway.<br />And i am very intersted in life under water.<br /><br />Electrician by proffesion.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

Simply awesome

Personally I would like too avoid the worms...

#10 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

Great pictures - but a seemingly dumb photographer.

Maybe he had a good reason not to be using some form of protection from the nasty things in the water ?

Fair comment you may not be able to avoid the malaria but the rest?

Wonder if he was even using a camera housing.

Paul C

Edited by PRC, 17 March 2010 - 08:22 AM.

Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#11 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

No split shots?

It looks like they were split (over under) shots, but he cropped away the bottom portion, since it would just have been distracting (you can see a little of the uw part in the second one).

As for the drysuit, that's exactly what I was thinking, too!

All in all, a pretty amazing - albeit inadvisable - bit of photography! Makes me feel pretty wimply for complaining about ANYTHING on a liveaboard dive boat... :)

Edited by bmyates, 17 March 2010 - 08:28 AM.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#12 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

There are powered waterproof pan/tilt systems available plus full remote capabilities for dSLRs (even if you sat in a covered boat). Given that I'm pretty sure that bilharzia can lead to damaged vision, I think that a remote operated camera might have been a far better route! Cracking image but were they worth the cost?
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#13 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

Amazing shots. But when you can get military surplus drysuits for $300 or less on eBay (no valves, but not needed for these purposes), he definitely chose the BF&I* method of getting the shots.

*brute force and ignorance

#14 scubadiverdan

scubadiverdan

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

That is fantastic. I am always amazed at the dedication and patience those nature photographers have all to get that one picture or video. I just hope he was keeping an eye out for the most dangerous animal: hippos. Great work.

-Daniel

-----------
Daniel Herrington
Broadreach and Academic Treks
www.gobroadreach.com

#15 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

"He began a long-term waiting game where he sat semi-submerged for 270 hours "

Now i've never worn a dry suit, But im assuming that if it keeps water out then its not going to let water escape. Im sure that sitting in your own urine for 270 ( what is that like 12 days) is going to mess up your skin pretty bad. When I was really young I had a ginnie pig that I just left in dirty bedding when my family whent on a five day vacation. When we got back from the trip Mr. Fuzzy had lost most of his hair and had HORRIBLE sores all over his body. The vet said that it was from the acids in his urine. I would take worms over those kind of sores that I saw.
Pluss isnt a drysuit hot as hell? In africa?

#16 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Hi Derek,

I don't think he was in the water for 270 hours in a row - I think that was cumulative.

A "pee valve" is almost standard equipment on a drysuit nowadays - do a google search for all the gruesome details. :-) Hint: it's definitely better than getting a parasite.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#17 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

Now i've never worn a dry suit, But im assuming that if it keeps water out then its not going to let water escape. Im sure that sitting in your own urine for 270 ( what is that like 12 days) is going to mess up your skin pretty bad. When I was really young I had a ginnie pig that I just left in dirty bedding when my family whent on a five day vacation. When we got back from the trip Mr. Fuzzy had lost most of his hair and had HORRIBLE sores all over his body. The vet said that it was from the acids in his urine. I would take worms over those kind of sores that I saw.

That's funny, I'm sure his sandwiches would have got damp too! I bet he was stinking afterwards each time too. Amazing images though!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#18 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hi Derek,

I don't think he was in the water for 270 hours in a row - I think that was cumulative.

A "pee valve" is almost standard equipment on a drysuit nowadays - do a google search for all the gruesome details. :-) Hint: it's definitely better than getting a parasite.

Cheers
James

Pee out - snails in. Not good for your Johnson!
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#19 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

IMO. nice shots, poor judgments and field preparation, there are gears out there to assist you for theses kind of shoots, what pisses me off is that this guy has the luxury to be sick and treated while other around where he was shooting have no choice but to live (and die) with the parasite, disease and what not, I'm being moral here, but there is something wrong with this picture, its being spoiled by false bravado and fake heroism, good human behavior generally does not make for good pictures but at one point, the brain has got to come out of the Fruit of the Loom.

Again spetacular images, I would have preffered to see them without the behind the scene episode.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#20 secretsea18

secretsea18

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

In the text of the article .... 3 hrs a day for 90 days = 270 hours.

I wonder if he used a bag type of "housing" such as the EWA type of "'housing" as it sure does look like there was some "dipping" of the lower part on one of the images...

Regardless, the images are really spectacular!