23 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

For H.264 mov, transcoding is necessary because:

1. Timecode: It adds timecode which other plug-ins also promise to do. I do know that Canon is working adding timecode from metadata like GLuetools intended to. (As an aside, Canon is releasing the beta in Mar, not the the golden master.)
2. Computer power: Pro Res works well with lesser computers, like the Core2Duo of the MBP. You can do more with about 3x the size of your master file. The H.264 files are CPU intensive. At 40+ Mbps, it will drag most computers down to have to render to display multitracks etc.

My suggestion is to use MPEG Streamclip to transcode your "working .mov files". A slightly different way is to make a first cut then transcode those clips into Pro Res via Media Manager, recompressing into Pro Res. That'll be much slower than using MPEG Streamclip but you'd be ready to roll once it's done. Overnight transcoding is perfect for that.
Compressor works too but is slower. However, it does a good job of conforming 30fps to 24 or 25fps. I suggest you do that to your output file and not bother with that unless you don't know what it'll look like.

Shawn is right that Pro Res is not X-platform and thus not a delivery option. Formats like HDCAM, HDCAM SR are always accepted, except for smaller production houses.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

From what I can see in Eric's question, I think he wants to export the sequence and the associated trimmed clips, at least that's what he says in his question.
This is a common procedure, it allows you to trim down a project to exactly the clips you have cut in your timeline. It copies the project file and creates a new folder with different standalone QT movies, each movie representing a clip in the timeline. This is often done to slim down a project considerably by throwing away any captured footage that is useless to the final edit, or to export standalone clips from captured footage in native resolution for archiving or stock footage.
The mistake he is making is that he includes the master clips that are outside the selection, i.e. footage that has not been used in the sequence. 99% of all problems with the media manager are related to operator errors or not understanding how the media manager really works.
I believe a FCP plugin from Canon is due out shortly that will solve the transcode and timecode issues. Personally, I transcode everything to Pro Res SQ, while it creates larger files it is easier to work with especiallly when any compositing is necessary.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#23 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Canon EOS MOVIE Plugin- E1 for Final Cut Pro is now available (albeit the beta version)! 

Click here and select under software!

- Mary Lynn

Edited by Mary Lynn, 19 March 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#24 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

Flying visit here!

HDV and XDCAM EX I edit natively without transcoding. My machine can handle it and it saves all the buggering around for not much more of a benefit (if any). Footage from the Canon 7D I transcode to ProRes as there's no way you can edit the H264 files from the camera if you don't want to go insane!

Seriously don't do it, it really is bad for your mental health!! :)

Hope this helps.