Photo
- - - - -

Need a small camera(or help with focus-problems on Gopro HD)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Taking Pictures above and under water.<br />I also spearfish i Dk and Norway.<br />And i am very intersted in life under water.<br /><br />Electrician by proffesion.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

Hi all.

I have just bought a GoPro HD(http://www.goprocamera.com/)

I intended to use for freediving/spearfishing because of the size. Tiny! But when I tried it underwater the focus was really bad. It works perfectly above water so I just don't get why it wont work UW.

So now Im left with two choices. Fix the problem or sell the camera and by a new one.

Fix?? Anyone??

Sell/Buy: Wich camera would you recommend? It needs too be Hi resolution and small. I use Canon normally but i am open too other brands.

Hope someone can help me.

Cheers

Mads

#2 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Taking Pictures above and under water.<br />I also spearfish i Dk and Norway.<br />And i am very intersted in life under water.<br /><br />Electrician by proffesion.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

Anyone????

#3 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

Anyone????

For fixing the problem, I'm not familiar with the GoPro cameras, but my guess is that the problem with focus might have something to do with low light, and using a focus light would help

For a new camera, what's your budget? How small do you want it to be? How high resolution is "hi resolution"? What environment will you be shooting in? How important is video as compared to prints?

#4 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hi Dave.

I did a test in a well lit pool and in a bathtub. But i have decided too sell it and buy a new camera.

I have a budget of around 550usd. The camera will mostly be used for filming freedivers and spearfishers so it needs to be compact. So video is more important than prints. It will be used in green water from the surface to 20meters.

I have considered Canon ixus 200 and panasonic tz7. They both record in 720p. But I dont know anything about video so there might be something better out there.

Thanks

Mads

#5 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

Stumbled across this camera. Is it any good? http://www.ikelite.c...wo/jvc_fm1.html

#6 bfdc

bfdc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

try the modified gopro housing at:

www.eyeofmine.com

they add a flat lens to the housing....it sharpens up focus for video, so should work for stills

#7 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks but i sold the camera.

Mads