5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:36 AM

A very interesting webisode with some top notch people in the industry giving their opinions. It's 35 minutes long so bring the popcorn. You have to get past the silly cowboy hats in the intro. Down right embarrissing for a guy in Arizona to watch. If you hang on til the end there is a pretty remarkable short video by Philip Bloom.

The comparison shoot out between film and DSLR's is here; http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:15 AM

You have to get past the silly cowboy hats in the intro. Down right embarrissing for a guy in Arizona to watch.

Well over here where us City Folks hang out with our fancy clothes and food, well we like learning about how you'all do your thing :o

If you hang on til the end there is a pretty remarkable short video by Philip Bloom.

Interesting presentation and liked some of the comments and the usual flames from whoever wants to believed what. Bottom line to me the video dSLRs and very strong and can be used in a wide variety of areas - there are issues of course, but the value, to me, of the video dSLRs is worth having despite any real warts, or some warts that can be a bit more too far pixel pushing.

#3 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1768 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

I though all you guys (and gals) in the US wore those hats....?

I'm not sure that us underwater types use or need the level of comparison that this offers-there are so many factors about filming underwater in terms of color/light loss, water-borne particles etc that affect us, the extremes don't make as much difference maybe.

What is fascinating is how far DSLR video has come in a short time-the differences seem relatively minor and yet we are really still on generation 1 video capable cameras!

It is a very interesting piece of research-thanks for posting it Steve.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

Yep, have to be a little careful with any review of this kind of course. They used all Zeiss glass for example, and they had the best colorists/processing types working on the output. But it's fun to see what the cameras are capable of and how you could modify what you do with your camera to take advantage of it's strengths.

Hey Adam, all real Americans have a nice Stetson hat, but most easterners only wear it to bed. At least that's what I've heard.

Adios,
Steev

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

All real Americans have a nice Stetson hat, but most easterners only wear it to bed.

Hmm. I should really put my top 10 replies in order in my mind, tell you to pick a number from 1-10, and let's see what comes out. I think all of them work out to be off color though. :o

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Great link, I think the degree of latitude that the digital cams have is amazing. A lot of people keep saying that 2010 is the year film died, not 100% sure myself but it is getting pretty close! It would have been interesting to add the new Arri Alexa (not too sure if they could have got a pre-production one) into the mix to see how it held up.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney