7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 08:45 PM

I managed to find time to locate the disc I made of my first dive with the Fuji S2. These shots which I considered useless due to what I considered severe under-exposure have actually produced quite nice blues in the brighter areas, with little more than some "curves" adjustments in photoshop. However, I would like to see more detail in the shadow areas. Any more increase in the curves started washing out the fan.

I have included one example, not a very good shot, but the blues are much better.

These original shots were made using James's recommendations of 1/125th shutter speed and F22. Thanks James!

On my next Guam visit in November, I will re shoot similar images, while experimenting to find the best balance between nice blue water and adequate shadow detail. For these shots I may try using different strobe power settings for full (with diffuser) for the model due to the greater distance and 1/4 for the seafan(less than 1 meter). This will require a lot more shooting as I will have to adjust the strobe much more depending on the position of the model in relation to the fan but with digital bottom time is more of a concern than available images.

Kindest regards

Chris
Nikon D70s,Fuji S2, And Misc Nikon/Nikonos film gear collecting dust.
Ikelite and Aquatica Housings
Nikon 12-24 mm, 10.5 mm, 16 mm, 60 mm, 105 mm, 200 mm micro. Sigma 14 mm. + stacks of diopters and teleconverters
Many outdated flashy thingys with aluminum tinker toys to connect them to the cameras.

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:05 PM

There are three or four alternatives to increase your dynamic range:

1) Use PS to blend the images by first creating two images of different exposures. I do this with the RAW converter. For a tutorial visit Luminous Landscape. This tutorial has been updated with some links to other alternatives.

2) Buy Fred Miranda's DRI action. I just checked. It's not on his list anymore, but I'm sure you can still get it if you want. It automates 1) above.

3) Chroma Software's Shadow Control also does pretty well.

4) Wait for Photoshop CS, which will let you control shadow areas.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:28 AM

This is much better, but I still think that the S2 struggles in this department. 1/125 still shows greeninsh at the surface, but way too dark behind the diver. Are you shooting raw or jpg?
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#4 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:08 AM

Use PS to blend the images by first creating two images of different exposures.  I do this with the RAW converter.  For a tutorial visit Luminous Landscape.

Thanks for posting this link! It looks like a nice technique.
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#5 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:42 PM

Kasey

The shot I posted was shot in Jpg mode. It was on my 3rd dive with the camera and I was doing a lot of experimenting, not to mention I forgot to take the camera software to Guam, therfore had no way to view the RAW files - DOH!!!. I later downloaded the LE version so I could at least see my results on my PC.

Scorpio

I will take a look at the other photoshop based corrections, I have other Fred Miranda products and I have been happy with these.

What is Photoshop CS? (8.0?)

Chris
Nikon D70s,Fuji S2, And Misc Nikon/Nikonos film gear collecting dust.
Ikelite and Aquatica Housings
Nikon 12-24 mm, 10.5 mm, 16 mm, 60 mm, 105 mm, 200 mm micro. Sigma 14 mm. + stacks of diopters and teleconverters
Many outdated flashy thingys with aluminum tinker toys to connect them to the cameras.

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 01:13 PM

Yes, CS is the new name for the 8.0 suite

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:23 PM

No need to buy a plugin for an easy case like this one.. Adjustment layer plus
gradient tool does a passable job in 5 seconds. I could have made it more even,
but theres only so much shadow detail to bring out with the 8 bit jpeg.

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 03:35 PM

Nice! Chris, you should teach a class on this.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org