#1 marc1990

marc1990

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Diving, computer, photography and elektronics

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hello everyone,

I currently have G9 with underwater housing from canon. But I would love to put my 50D in underwater housing with 3-4 stops iso advance and with good lens another 2 stops.

Which lens should I use? I see/hear lot of people shoot with fish-eye lenses but I doubt if they work around here.(here is: the netherlands visible around 1-5m(at best) with lot of particals in the water)
I currently have 50 1.8 MK II(and 18-55 IS). I think it nice length for shooting fish or I am wrong?
Is it possible to use zoom/manual focus underwater?
How is control of 50D ikelite underwater house?(Or should consider a other housing(budget is a real issues))
Could one port house multiple lenses(not at same time of course)? Or do you need a different port for almost every lens?
As I have read/experience(g9) the advance of IS are less because the water does the same. Is this true?

A other thing I consider I getting external flash.

Please give me some advices.

Marc

Canon 7D, ikelite house,2x ds161 strobe,tokine 10-17mm, sigma 18-50 2.8 macro en canon 100mm 2.8 USM, flickr

#2 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

- You can use Ikelite's port chart to figure out which port(s) will work with a given lens. http://ikelite.com/w...port_canon.html
- There is a modular port system that allows you to use a big dome port with different port bodies, thereby broadening the range of lenses you can use with the big dome.
Or you can get smaller individual dome ports and flat ports that suit a narrow selection of lenses but are relatively inexpensive. For example, there's a 6" dome port that will suit your 18-55 and other lenses of the same size. The bigger dome port is more expensive, but it lets you do over/under shots (half in the water, half out) and has other benefits.
- Your 18-55mm lens would work okay, but most people find other lenses are better underwater. If you don't like the G9's performance, you may be comparably disappointed with your 50D if you don't use a good lens.
- There aren't many lenses that you can focus manually in Ikelite housings, but you can adjust the zoom on most lenses. Ikelite housings come with a zoom gear and clamp set that mounts on many zoom lenses. Some lenses, such as the 17-85mm IS, have special ports with zoom controls built in.
- External strobes add a whole other set of expenses to your system.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#3 bursprak

bursprak

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

The 18-55 is a good lens to start with, but I would recommend getting a fisheye (or wideangle) lens. I shoot a Tokina 10-17 here in Denmark in similar conditions as yours. I get pretty good results, but you need to be very careful about how you light the subjects.

Controls are pretty straightforward, you can control all of the buttons and levers without any friction.

There comes a zoom sleeve with housing, which makes it possible to zoom underwater using a wheel located on the right side of the camera.

There s a quite cheap Ike housing for the 40D (which also fits the 50D) here http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=35484

Hello everyone,

I currently have G9 with underwater housing from canon. But I would love to put my 50D in underwater housing with 3-4 stops iso advance and with good lens another 2 stops.

Which lens should I use? I see/hear lot of people shoot with fish-eye lenses but I doubt if they work around here.(here is: the netherlands visible around 1-5m(at best) with lot of particals in the water)
I currently have 50 1.8 MK II(and 18-55 IS). I think it nice length for shooting fish or I am wrong?
Is it possible to use zoom/manual focus underwater?
How is control of 50D ikelite underwater house?(Or should consider a other housing(budget is a real issues))
Could one port house multiple lenses(not at same time of course)? Or do you need a different port for almost every lens?
As I have read/experience(g9) the advance of IS are less because the water does the same. Is this true?

A other thing I consider I getting external flash.

Please give me some advices.

Marc