• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:09 AM

Hey their I have a Nikon D90 and really need some software to process the raw files. I did download a trial copy of Nikon capture nx but I found it to be very slow could this be because it was a trial copy?
www.aquaseen.com

#2 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hey their I have a Nikon D90 and really need some software to process the raw files. I did download a trial copy of Nikon capture nx but I found it to be very slow could this be because it was a trial copy?

No, it' same same.
Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#3 kkgodiving

kkgodiving

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, trekking.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

I don't have the problem. I was using the Capture NX and and now Capture NX2.
www.flickr.com/photos/kkgofootprint

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:36 AM

I've never had a problem with NX2 speed. What computer do you use, and how much RAM does it have?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

I've never had a problem with NX2 speed. What computer do you use, and how much RAM does it have?

thanks for the replies. I am really not the best on the computer but I will try to answer question. My computer is a Intel ® Pentium ® with 504 mb of ram.

Cheers Matt
www.aquaseen.com

#6 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

My computer is a Intel Pentium with 504 mb of ram.

I think that's your problem in a nutshell. You don't have enough RAM to run this program without experiencing frustration in using it. I had this problem on an older computer that didn't have enough memory. Once I upgraded the RAM, the problems in running Capture NX2 went away. You might want to shoot in jpg only until you can upgrade your memory. Although it's far preferred to shoot in RAW, given all the controls you have and the non-destructive nature of the files, if the software to use RAW files is running too slowly, then it's probably best to shoot in jpg for the time being. The good thing is that memory is cheap so it may be relatively inexpensive to upgrade the memory.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#7 MATT S

MATT S

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

I think that's your problem in a nutshell. You don't have enough RAM to run this program without experiencing frustration in using it. I had this problem on an older computer that didn't have enough memory. Once I upgraded the RAM, the problems in running Capture NX2 went away. You might want to shoot in jpg only until you can upgrade your memory. Although it's far preferred to shoot in RAW, given all the controls you have and the non-destructive nature of the files, if the software to use RAW files is running too slowly, then it's probably best to shoot in jpg for the time being. The good thing is that memory is cheap so it may be relatively inexpensive to upgrade the memory.

Ellen

Looks like its time to upgrade then.
www.aquaseen.com

#8 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:50 AM

Yeah, Matt. I don't know what type of machine you have and how old it is. But sounds like it's time. A faster processor is only part of the equation. If you are upgrading your whole machine, think of having 2-4GB of internal memory at least if you want to see editing programs like NX2 work to their full potential.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.