• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

Good evening - I wanted to get your opinion about student versus regular versions of lightroom specifically - or any program for that matter. Are there any diffrerences in these? If yes..what are they? Do you get the same support for both? Are upgrades available for the student? Does Adobe penalize for the student version?

I have tried searching for this information on the forums and did not find anything. So apologize in advance if this has already been thoroughly discussed (if so, then would someone send me the thread if missed it).

Your thoughts on this appreciated.

Thanks - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

Good evening - I wanted to get your opinion about student versus regular versions of lightroom specifically - or any program for that matter. Are there any diffrerences in these? If yes..what are they? Do you get the same support for both? Are upgrades available for the student? Does Adobe penalize for the student version?

I have tried searching for this information on the forums and did not find anything. So apologize in advance if this has already been thoroughly discussed (if so, then would someone send me the thread if missed it).

Your thoughts on this appreciated.

Thanks - DiverPam

The difference is what you can do with the software (commercial vs. Personal use) and whether upgrade paths are available to commercial versions. In other words, if you are not a student or otherwise qualify or the discount, purchasing educational software can be penny wise and pound foolish. Not to say that people do not do it, but...

Depending on the software, things may be hobbled ( depending on the software and license), and using it can subject you to violations of The terms of use. If you want to sleep well and using software "for real", then you get the real one. Shop well, find the discounts ( good old bundle days of scanner with Photoshop which led to upgrades. for example..)

But many people take short cuts. Which is kind of wrong when what we do is deal with Intellectual property :lol:

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

Pam,
The Adobe CS5 packages will be available for students and now they are including teachers (a brilliant move IMHO) The link to the site is here. The student versions are full complete versions of the software and there is no limitation that I can find on commercial use. (They used to as Drew mentioned) I'm assuming Lightroom 3.0 will be the same. You must be able to prove that you are a student and they don't "turn on" the software until you do which greatly limits those who would cheat to allay some of Drew's fears. Some info from the site;

The following individuals are eligible to purchase Adobe Student and Teacher Editions:

• University and college students students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study
  • Primary and secondary school students students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction
  • Faculty and staff teachers and staff employed by an accredited primary or secondary school or public or private university or college
Customers will be required to provide proof of eligibility to Adobe in order to use an Adobe Student and Teacher Edition.

Students can buy Adobe Student and Teacher Editions on Adobe.com in the
Education Store Students may purchase only one license of any Adobe Student and Teacher Edition product. The license may be used only on the student's privately owned computer. Student and Teacher Edition products may not be resold.

One other note the packages are different depending on where you live in the world so this info only applies to the US and Canada. Other countries may be slightly different.
Happily my son has finally graduated from the University so he's not eligible any more. I might have to go sign for some classes at the community college. :lol: I wonder if they have any Photography classes.

Have fun,
Steve

Edited by Steve Williams, 27 April 2010 - 06:56 PM.

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Have not looked at recent changes, but many licenses limit to educational uses/non-commercial. Some things change (sort of like the her ion deaer, first one is on them :lol: ) and there maybe language buried still. Or not. :notworthy:

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Have not looked at recent changes, but many licenses limit to educational uses/non-commercial.

The fine print (sort of). It clearly states that student and teacher versions may be used for commercial purposes. The only real difference is that the CD doesn't come with a manual. That is the way it has been for a while. It really is huge that teachers are now eligible for the educational discount. That is new as of April of this year. They need all the help they can get.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks guys - I have considerd taking some local classes. And this is part of my reason for the question.

The other...I was not familiar with the differences and what this means. I have had several people mention this option to me and my son is looking at colleges. He is being told that there are specific laptop and programs specifications for engineering students that he will have to have as he starts. We have until Fall of 2011 to learn more about this, but it is on my mind right now. So...the answers to this question about lightroom hopefully will help us in that too.

Drew - I hear what you are saying. I just have not had any experience with this setup before and wanted feedback on it. It is unfamliar territory for me. And yes....spending less is always nice (if it is for the right reasons).

Thanks - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#7 seafan

seafan

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Thanks guys - I have considerd taking some local classes. And this is part of my reason for the question.

The other...I was not familiar with the differences and what this means. I have had several people mention this option to me and my son is looking at colleges. He is being told that there are specific laptop and programs specifications for engineering students that he will have to have as he starts. We have until Fall of 2011 to learn more about this, but it is on my mind right now. So...the answers to this question about lightroom hopefully will help us in that too.

Drew - I hear what you are saying. I just have not had any experience with this setup before and wanted feedback on it. It is unfamliar territory for me. And yes....spending less is always nice (if it is for the right reasons).

Thanks - DiverPam

A good place to buy adobe if you are an educator or student is through journeyed.com. They require that you submit proof ( I took a picture of my school ID and uploaded it to them) prior to selling you the product. For instance, I bought lightroom 2 this past winter for $99. I know you can find it for that at other sites now that 3 is out but when I bought it, it was a great price.
May all your bubbles reach the surface before you do!!!

#8 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

Just remember that educational versions do NOT qualify for later upgrades. You must start over, and if your status has changed, you may not be eligible.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig