Louisiana oil disaster (merged thread)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

Just heard an update of this unfolding tragedy on the radio this a.m.
The implications for Louisiana - and indeed the environ of the gulf of Mexico - is just terrible to contemplate. :-(

http://news.yahoo.co...l_rig_explosion
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#2 manfishmatt

manfishmatt

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Please join Jean-Michel Cousteau and his non-profit organization, Ocean Futures Society, in letting our legislators know enough is enough.

The Gulf of Mexico is in a state of emergency. Take Action Now. http://bit.ly/aElBma

#3 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

Well that's a noble thing to do but anyone typing a letter needs to figure where the fuel for the postal truck and the plastic for their computer keyboard comes from.
We need to do these things gradually not in a knee jerk fashion.

Oil exploration and production is driven by demand - which is where our conservation efforts should be concentrated imo.

Edited by Balrog, 04 May 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#4 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

Well that's a noble thing to do but anyone typing a letter needs to figure where the fuel for the postal truck and the plastic for their computer keyboard comes from.
We need to do these things gradually not in a knee jerk fashion.

Oil exploration and production is driven by demand - which is where our conservation efforts should be concentrated imo.

There's a huge middle ground between what happened with the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded, and banning all new oil exploration.

For example, BP got a blanket exemption from ALL environmental and safety regulations for Deepwater Horizon (the US Minerals Management Service grants 250 to 400 such waivers a year in the Gulf of Mexico alone). It would be a great improvement if the US started enforcing the environmental laws that have already been passed.

#5 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

reef.org has a link on their site related to the situation...
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

I would start with the official government response website:

http://www.deepwater...m/go/site/2931/

Check out the video from the Skandi Neptune's ROV - it's a good overview of what's happening down there.

As someone who knows - the press is getting a lot of the facts wrong on what's going on. The official response website seems to be presenting good correct info though without spin in either direction.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

Somebody is getting the picture.

'Titanic' director Cameron joins effort to plug Gulf spill

and also here

Edited by fotoscubo714, 01 June 2010 - 10:40 PM.

7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#8 HaleyV

HaleyV

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

Given the recent oil spill news we are listening to about day soon after day, I'm sure by now we all know who BP is, even if we didn't before. I just hope that their new cleaning procedure called "Top Kill" be successful because it has brought a lot of destruction not only to the environment but it also brought danger to people's lives in the coastal area.

#9 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

It's a terrible tragedy that all are working towards containing, rightly without regard for cost.

As a Brit I feel simultaneously very sorry and proud for BP who seem to be stepping up to the plate and carrying all the bad publicity as well as the financial burden. BP are just the discoverer of the block and would have operated the field once the wells were completed. The well was being drilled on their behalf by Transocean, a US drilling company (and the largest in the world).

It was Transocean's drillship, equipment and operators who suffered the tragedy and their sub-sea blow out preventer that failed to safely shut down the well as it was supposed to. It has to be said that we haven't heard a peep out of Transocean.

It is right to focus on sorting the pollution without a blame culture but I'm sure once contained this will become an issue. If BP have no redress to Transocean there's something wrong with the contracting strategy or US law.

2c

Edited by Balrog, 03 June 2010 - 12:55 AM.

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:29 AM

It is undeniably a terrible disaster - but it's not the worst oil spill. There have been a couple much much bigger but they didn't affect American voters, only Third-World people - so who cares? As long as we get OUR oil. If we stopped consuming cocaine it might be better in a few other countries too. Am I a cynic?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#11 MDB

MDB

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

It is undeniably a terrible disaster - but it's not the worst oil spill. There have been a couple much much bigger but they didn't affect American voters, only Third-World people - so who cares? As long as we get OUR oil. If we stopped consuming cocaine it might be better in a few other countries too. Am I a cynic?

Wow John you are a cynic :)

#12 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Check out the video from the Skandi Neptune's ROV - it's a good overview of what's happening down there.

Do you have a link for that video, James? I found a live stream at Ustream:
http://www.ustream.t...ve-rov-video/v3

Here's a recorded video that shows the leak in action. Crazy.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7225649
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#13 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

http://bp.concerts.c...elong053110.htm

#14 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:19 PM

The unfortunate thing about the spill (which is terrible in itself) is the publicity and the politicisation is going to result in a far worse outcome for the environment. As damaging as crude oil can be, it is not as bad as the dispersant being used nor the combination of oil & dispersant (which is the worst).

#15 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

http://abcnews.go.co...c-soup-10735329
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#16 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

Here is an attachment w/ link to see all of the ROV cameras on one screen (the ones that are in the water. The ones on deck for maintenance don't show).

As of now, the tophat has been placed over the cut off riser pipe on top of the LMRP. It is siphoning up over half of the oil and hopefully will get up to 75% of it soon.

I don't really understand the purpose of the dispersant either Andrew. The government and BP have decided it should be used to keep the oil from floating on the surface. But why?

Cheers
James

Attached Files

• Attached File  cams.htm   5.08KB   206 downloads

Dual Ikelite Strobes

#17 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Some heartbreaking images here
http://lens.blogs.ny.../assignment-35/
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#18 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

Heartbreaking - true. But...
http://www.thedailym...e-201006102804/

"Martin Bishop, a West Wing fan from Hitchin, said: "This morning I saw a quote from Norman Tebbit - Norman Tebbit - saying that the Americans do seem to have forgotten how one of their corporations dealt with the disaster at Bhopal.

"So anyway, here's some interesting facts. The Bhopal gas leak killed an estimated 16,000 people and directly affected around 500,000. Union Carbide eventually paid out $450m in compensation. Which is an average of $900 per person. So, as you can see, they really did somethin' to help those folks down there in India."

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#19 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

John:

All quite true. But I cringe a little at the quote's apparently drawing equivalence between our currently hapless ("whose asses to kick", really?) leadership and the media frenzy as being somehow the hypocritical rallying cry of "{all} the Americans".

It's a tragic accident that's going to take some time to repair, plain and simple. If the initial blowout could've been avoided thru different techniques, one hopes that comes out and the industry learns. Some heads may (and perhaps should) roll if they actively circumvented known and approved procedures that contributed to the original event, or if the BOP wasn't properly installed or maintained...but in the main the company/operator -- and the industry at large -- shouldn't be vilified solely for infotainment or political purposes.

In fact, thinking about the engineering hurdles involved in working a mile deep (not to mention trying to hit what is probably about a 7-10" target up to THREE miles deep for the relief well bores!!), I don't really see that people can correctly abuse them for not stopping the flow yet. Mitigation of the oil plume itself earlier might've been done better (firebooms, skimmers, etc) but that's as much the host country's disaster preparedness as the company -- they're in business which means they're only going to go so far above and beyond the requirements or else they'll be undercut by someone else who doesn't. Was reading recently that the Dutch govt offered skimmers, equipment, and a plan (including sand berms, etc) within 3 days and was initially told "thanks for the advice, STFU" in slightly more diplomatic words by the administration. Frankly I'm more appalled by THAT than I am with BP's performance as I understand it to date.

That's the opinion of *this* American.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#20 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Did y'all know that it took the EPA THREE DAYS to grant BP a permit to start drilling the relief wells? Someone in the EPA didn't want to give it to them because of the air pollution that would have been caused by the rig...

I know I'm biased because I'm in the industry...but it also means that I get facts that aren't in the mainstream media.

So did you know that it took the MMS an additional FOUR DAYS to grant the drilling permit for the relief wells? That's a total of SEVEN DAYS wasted.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes