• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 04:50 AM

The Sigma SD10 SLR has been announced and a preliminary first look has been posted on Steves-Digicams and DPReview. Imaging-Resource has a full review posted on their site.

They are calling this a 10.2MP chip, despite that it only measure color from three physical locations from light entering the plane of the chip. Imaging-Resource says that chip, like the SD9's chip, approaches the resolution of a 6MP sensor.

Maybe someone will get one of these things underwater at some point, so we can see some photos. :(
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#2 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 01:34 PM

Rick Decker has a Sigma SD9 and housing being sent via plane to Hawaii for evaluation.

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 02:31 PM

I read the review at Imaging Resource - this seems like a very small incremental upgrade to me. Vert andn Horiz LPH are around 1,000 to 1,200 - so not better than other DSLRS. Probably the addition of microlenses...

Doing away w/ the Lithium batteries are nice.

Now about the sensor - is it actually "new?????" It's still the same 3.3 recorded megapixels...

Will be interested to hear from Rick how it behaves when connected to underwater strobes. Imaging Resource says the hot shoe has the usual center pin so it looks like manual flash will work at least.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 03:21 PM

I was also disappointed by the lack of resolution improvement. They're going to have to be a LOT better than the competition to get mindshare. I'd like to play with one if only it used a Nikon mount.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#5 sean

sean

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 09:48 PM

The foveon technology sounds good in theory, but in practice seems to be somewhat lacking. More importantly, so far the only cameras that use it are rather disappointing in terms of feature set -- not to mention lens choice. There are better cameras for less money with better glass available for them, so I'm a bit flummoxed why anyone would be interested in Sigma's new camera.