Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

I have just purchased one of these and was hoping to take it away on a trip this week to use as another form of backing up my files. i have just connected it to my desktop via a USB cable and a red light on the unit is illuminated. BUT, when I go to computer on my desktop it isnt there, the desktop does not seem to know that it has been plugged in. Am I doing something wrong. I have tried it on 3 laptops and all of them are giving me the same problem.

Any help would be really appreciated as I head to Indo on thursday evening

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1515 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

I have just purchased one of these and was hoping to take it away on a trip this week to use as another form of backing up my files. i have just connected it to my desktop via a USB cable and a red light on the unit is illuminated. BUT, when I go to computer on my desktop it isnt there, the desktop does not seem to know that it has been plugged in. Am I doing something wrong. I have tried it on 3 laptops and all of them are giving me the same problem.

Any help would be really appreciated as I head to Indo on thursday evening

Stew

On some computers there isn't enough power to do anything but light up the indicator lamp, which is why you often get cables with two computer side plugs. Does it have a place for an external power supply?
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

On some computers there isn't enough power to do anything but light up the indicator lamp, which is why you often get cables with two computer side plugs. Does it have a place for an external power supply?
Bill

HI Bill, yes the USB cable that was supplied with the hard drive does have a double USB to single and I have plugged both of them in to my desktop. There are no other sockets on the hard drive for DC power in. The only socket is for connecting the USB.

STew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com