14 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

OK, I rarely if ever post here, but I'm intrigued as to the reaction that this photo might get. It was taken for fun and was very opportunistic; I rather like it, purely as an image. Comments please!
D0062771a.jpg
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#2 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

OK, I rarely if ever post here, but I'm intrigued as to the reaction that this photo might get. It was taken for fun and was very opportunistic; I rather like it, purely as an image. Comments please!
D0062771a.jpg

I like it, the green is very bright and adds to the image. But I think it should have been shot portrait rather than landscape.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#3 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

I think it's cool. And I like it as a horizontal. The shadow accentuates the composition. I don't think it would have the same power as a tight vertical.

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

Very cool Paul. I like the horizontal also. The round green light wouldn't be there if you'd have shot it portrait. Would be fun to play with though and try to recreate the shape with a vignette in post. The green on her face and green water are just great. Looks very alien somehow.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

Yes; definitely bizarre! I like it for that reason.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3068 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

OK, couldn't help myself I had to play with it. What an incredible image when you zoom in and really look at it. I've never seen a texture react to sharpening so dramatically.

Looks OK in portrait, but I'm still found of your original. Would be a fascinating image to see what you could do in B&W too.

Did a straight portrait crop and added a post crop vignette in LR 3 and simple B&W conversion in same.

paul_green1_1.jpg paul_green1_1_2.jpg

The B&W looks pretty weak next to the green but by itself it's very interesting.

Just an amazing image Paul. Well done!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

Thanks guys. I find it to be an intriguing image - actually I couldn't have shot it as a vertical. If anyone would care to guess as to how it was shot (lens, lighting, etc.) I'll finally reveal this, but it might be fun to try to figure it first.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:28 AM

Thanks guys. I find it to be an intriguing image - actually I couldn't have shot it as a vertical. If anyone would care to guess as to how it was shot (lens, lighting, etc.) I'll finally reveal this, but it might be fun to try to figure it first.

Very cool picture, Paul. I'd guess shot with a fisheye and single strobe above the housing.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:27 AM

This reminded me that seventeen years ago I made a series of pictures for a proposed book about how to breath-hold dive (snorkel). There are about 100 pictures selected for the book but alas the publisher went out-of-business while I was shooting them.
I took all the pictures on film and, underwater, with a Nikonos. I recently scanned all the film with a view to doing something with it. Of course, it's nothing more than a thinly disguised excuse to show naked girls in exotic locations!
Funnily enough, apart the the section on underwater photography, the pictures have not dated. It's all done with impeccable good taste and most of the pictures were taken directly outside my front door in Mallorca. In those days, no-one batted an eyelid at nudity on the beach in Europe. Anyone know of a coffee-table publisher that might be interested?

Attached Images

• Snorkelling2.jpg
  • BuddyPair4.jpg

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#10 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

This reminded me that seventeen years ago I made a series of pictures for a proposed book about how to breath-hold dive (snorkel).

John. I'm intrigued by this too, are you sure my photo 'reminded' you? WHY??? To be honest John, the pictures posted really have dated - they really do look very 'filmic' and have an old fashioned feel about them. But I'm sure they were done with impeccable good taste - I'd expect nothing less from you :) .

Alex. You are getting there but not quite - do you want to add anything (port, etc.).

Edited by pgk, 04 May 2010 - 04:23 AM.

#11 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:41 AM

John. I'm intrigued by this too, are you sure my photo 'reminded' you? WHY??? To be honest John, the pictures posted really have dated - they really do look very 'filmic' and have an old fashioned feel about them. But I'm sure they were done with impeccable good taste - I'd expect nothing less from you :) .

It was the word Bizarre! Naturally I only posted something that was shot at a distance without flash in order to spare the sensibilities of our cousins across the Atlantic!..but they look like they are underwater!

Edited by John Bantin, 04 May 2010 - 04:43 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#12 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:53 AM

Paul: Looks like the alien from close encounters-paint her eyes entirely black-

John: My Uncle Cosmo (Smallpiece) wants to know have you got any macro shots in this particular series.....or failing that....any CFWA??
(He doesn't think they look dated at all!!! :))
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#13 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:21 AM

John: My Uncle Cosmo (Smallpiece) wants to know have you got any macro shots in this particular series.....or failing that....any CFWA??
(He doesn't think they look dated at all!!! :))

The girls might now be grannies but in general girl's anatomies haven't evolved much since then. It's my retro style photography (still doing it!) and yes, I do have the detail pictures but I'm not posting any on here and get Eric on my neck!

#14 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

Nuff said John......... :)

........Sorry Eric .....for the schoolboy smut.....but...........Uncle Cosmo says...see below link for some classic English humour.......hope you like it............I certainly do.......one of my favourites........beautifully executed......

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#15 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

I like the image. Horizontal and vertical. Two different looks but I would leave the green water background in as I really think it adds to the image. Maybe the top of the head slightly higher in the frame but not much in my opinion.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz