Fuji 3D W1 underwater

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Well, I now have my first experience shooting the Fuji 3D W1 underwater, in a Seatool housing :)

Remember this a 10MP compact camera, not a pro camera... but as an intro into 3D I found it a lot of fun.

And this is not an in-depth review as I still have lots to learn...

The camera produces standard jpeg-based .mpo image pairs and can be set to record a 2D jpeg at the same time if you want. It also does standard def 3D video. As long as you look straight-on, and from a distance of about 30cm, the LCD screen on the back of the camera shows you your scene in 3D as you are shooting and your captured images can be viewed in 3D on the camera also. A clever acrylic cover over the LCD makes this possible. No glasses. It's pretty cool.

Fuji have also a V1 3D viewer, an 8" digital picture frame with the acrylic cover that allows you to display images in 3D again, without glasses :)

As standard .mpo files, the resulting images should play on other 3D display devices too.

So I rigged up a ball mount on top of my Aquatica 5Dmkii housing ... onto which I attach the little 3D W1 Seatool housing and with the help of Carey at Sea Optics in Adelaide, the Fuji camera now can trigger my dual Inon z240s via fibre optics.

The camera has some limited manual control aperture /shutter speed / ISO settings so I decided to shoot manual on both camera and strobes, even though Inon's sTTL may? work. I usually shoot everything in manual so didn't want to confuse myself :lol:

As expected, the 35mm (equivalent) lens behind flat port limits the subjects you can cover, so while unable to capture the broad expanse of an underwater landscape, I could pick out suitable subjects with "depth" .. groups of sponges, close-ups of slow moving (read stationary) fish, morays in their holes etc, small schools of fish etc. The shutter lag is a bit of an issue too... the camera not only has to focus when you press the shutter half way down, it also does the auto parallax correction ... together that feels like an eternity to someone who has never shot with a compact before... maybe you get used to it, but I haven't yet...

UW the camera has a "sweet spot" of about 1.5m where it is basically point and shoot, and the camera's auto parallax correction gives you great 3D results... just point and shoot.

Closer subjects require you to use the parralax + and - control buttons to align your images. This proved a little problematic shooting in the fluid realm, but here's the trick... you can choose to just point and shoot without correcting parallax, and then later review the image in-camera and use the parallax +/- control to re-align the captured image pair, and then save a copy. Yippeee. As this is a re-save of a jpeg, you probably loose a little image quality though.

I have shot a couple of video clips, but nothing serious, but my initial impression is that the system works well for point and shoot 3D video, in fact it is probably more forgiving in video than still mode (just like any video I guess).

FujiFilm say they have a 3D print system coming too, and for those Aussies interested, 3D products will have a presence on the FujiFilm stand at the Digital Life Expo in Melbourne in 4-6 June.

A wider lens, shorter shutter lag, RAW capture etc would be nice, but I tell you what, as a first generation, off the shelf consumer point and shoot 3D system, I'm impressed. Can't wait to see what's 'round the corner.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#2 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Underwater 3D still and video photography; 3D equipment, display and publishing.

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

[quote name='photovan' date='May 11 2010, 04:27 PM' post='250469']
Well, I now have my first experience shooting the Fuji 3D W1 underwater, in a Seatool housing :lol:

Remember this a 10MP compact camera, not a pro camera... but as an intro into 3D I found it a lot of fun.

Darren,

This was exactly my impression as well. I think this and similar 3D P&S's on the way to market will be the first introduction point to UW 3D shooting for many folks. All in all, a great way to get started for a minimum investment.

The perfect compliment to this little camera is to use Stereophotomaker freeware.

dddiver

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

The perfect compliment to this little camera is to use Stereophotomaker freeware.

dddiver

hmm hopefully something mac will arrive some time...
found this Mac 3D Viewer 1.0 freeware available on the Apple site that allows you to view and do some very basic manipulation of .mpo files

...as long as you are running at least OSx 10.5 that is ...

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240