Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

I downloaded Photogene for iPad and no doubt for the price it is well worth having in the iPad arsenal. Think of it as being able to don the adjustments as in iPhoto for all intents and purposes. A couple of seconds of playing with it and it becomes clear which things are available. You can adjust levels, temperature, RGB, exposure, highlights, shadows, contrast and some other things. VERY well worthwhile application and you can save the versions. (I just worked on a photo I imported via the cammera connection kit.) I have not yet bought them over to the computer, but can give it a whirl if you like.

Between the iWork apps, GoodReader, Photogene, a lot of power is already here for the humble iPad.

Typed this in Pages on the iPad and posted via iPad :lol:

#3 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

I downloaded Photogene for iPad and no doubt for the price it is well worth having in the iPad arsenal. Think of it as being able to don the adjustments as in iPhoto for all intents and purposes. A couple of seconds of playing with it and it becomes clear which things are available. You can adjust levels, temperature, RGB, exposure, highlights, shadows, contrast and some other things. VERY well worthwhile application and you can save the versions. (I just worked on a photo I imported via the cammera connection kit.) I have not yet bought them over to the computer, but can give it a whirl if you like.

Between the iWork apps, GoodReader, Photogene, a lot of power is already here for the humble iPad.

Typed this in Pages on the iPad and posted via iPad :lol:

Photogene is the best of the photo editing aps I've tried on the iPad. Most of the others concentrate on gimmicky filters. It's no Lightroom but shows you which images can be improved with a little work.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#4 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

Love the iPhone version, has been my favorite photo enhancement app for some time, and love the iPad version as well. Very well executed.

There's another one for iPad recently released called Photoforge, but I've not tried it. Looks promising though, and similar price point.

#5 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

June issue Outdoor Photographer has an article discussing some of these apps:

http://www.outdoorph...hotography.html
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#6 debersole

debersole

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

I just got back from a trip to Curacao with the iPad and no laptop. I downloaded my photos to the iPad using the "camera kit" and did some minor editing using Photo Gene. When downloading the photos from my Compact Flash card to the iPad the screen said "RAW+JPEG". However, now that I'm home and trying to download my photos I seem to only be able to find and download the JPEG files and not the RAW images. Any thoughts on how to get the RAW images off the iPad? Has anyone else had this issue?

Doug
www.debersole.com

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Doug,
There is something here, related to importing RAW + JPEG to Aperture, not sure if this helps
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3386
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 debersole

debersole

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Thanks. I think the problem I'm having is that I'm a "PC" guy and not an "apple" guy. I've tried using Photoshop CS3 to download the RAW files but it can't "see" the RAW photos on the iPad and I can't seem to find how to synch "RAW+JPG" from the iPad to my PC. I'm still working on it, but thanks for the help.

Doug
www.debersole.com

#9 samplin

samplin

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Mt. Biking

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hi

Has anyone found a workflow for the iPad..I have the camera connection kit and it works fine,but is there anyway to create folders...
Say day one dive 1. Day one dive 2?
The way I see it (maybe) is to create the folders before the trip,and do Itunes sync..
If you did that, does the CCK give you the option where you want the new photos?
Trying to lighten my travel load.. I am still one of those guys that shoot JPGs..
PP.. I am a PC guy..but love the Ipad..

Joe in Arizona Soon to be on the Kona ..July 17
Joe Samplin Peoria Arizona

My Smugmug

Canon S100. 2 YS-01 Fisheye FIX Housing

#10 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

As much as I love the iPad, it's no substitute for a laptop when it comes to photo editing. I tried it on a non diving trip, and even though I was able to do a first edit (tossing the trash), and do basic adjustments with Photogene, the heavy lifting had to wait till I got home to my Mac. And 64 gigs total doesn't allow enough headroom for serious shooting.

The raw images did transfer to the computer, even though the ones on the iPad were jpegs.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#11 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

The raw images did transfer to the computer, even though the ones on the iPad were jpegs.

The RAW images are on your iPad. The IPad just shows the imbedded Jpeg though.

I find the iPad good for viewing images during a trip to critique and determine what I need to improve. Much better for this than my Jobo GigaVue pro. In this sense it works well on a trip. I would like a good catalogue program for the iPad. I agree that it is not for photo editing.

It is much easier to carry on a trip and use than even a MacAir laptop.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website