Stunning cover of June Scuba Diving by Alex Mustard

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

Wetpixel's own Dr. Alex Mustard graced the cover of the June issue of Scuba Diving with a stunning image of a Grey seal photographed in the UK. Well done!

Got the issue through Zinio for iPad, and the mag looks great in this format.

#2 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

Ahh, I just got this one also.

Congrats Alex

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

I have not seen it, electronic or print, and because they had 3-4 of my vertical seal shots I actually don't know which one it is.

I have looked on their website - where there are several of my Cayman Island tourism images promoting an event there (Giles modelling again), but no sign of the cover.

Anyway, I am very pleased because it was a picture taken in the UK. British UW pictures are regularly on the covers of our magazines (I had one last month), but because of the nature of our waters (poor photography conditions) and that our diving is nice, but often unspectacular, very few people come to the UK to dive, it is very rare for a british underwater picture to be on the cover of a non-UK diving magazine. I can't think of the last time.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

I have not seen it, electronic or print, and because they had 3-4 of my vertical seal shots I actually don't know which one it is.

I have looked on their website - where there are several of my Cayman Island tourism images promoting an event there (Giles modelling again), but no sign of the cover.

Anyway, I am very pleased because it was a picture taken in the UK. British UW pictures are regularly on the covers of our magazines (I had one last month), but because of the nature of our waters (poor photography conditions) and that our diving is nice, but often unspectacular, very few people come to the UK to dive, it is very rare for a british underwater picture to be on the cover of a non-UK diving magazine. I can't think of the last time.

Alex

By sheer coincidence, the front cover of last month's Duiken was a UK-shot front cover - see Duiken. I think one could argue that diving in the Netherlands is perhaps equal to, or perhaps even more challenging than the UK so we are not really comparing like-for-like with respect to the tropical biased dive magazines with this particular shot.

But it always cheers my sprits to hear a UK image push out the blue water stuff....its a rare thing indeed.Nice one Alex.

It's a shame more don't visit our temperate waters. Scapa is popular with overseas divers, but it's not your 3mm shorty destination that's for sure.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

Great stats, Simon. It is a rarity, indeed. Maybe there should be a club in BSoUP for it!

I have got the seal shot narrowed down to two now. Both from the Farne Islands.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

Great stats, Simon. It is a rarity, indeed. Maybe there should be a club in BSoUP for it!
Alex

Small club ;-)

Norway has yielded three front covers, but it's easier to get a front cover in the fiords in my view. Still green water tho'
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#7 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

It is the one with the seal somewhat vertical in the shot coming up from the bottom and has the orange mouth. Belly directly facing you. It is from Farne based on what you say about it.

I would try to snap an image but it is at home and would not be till tonight.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

It is the one with the seal somewhat vertical in the shot coming up from the bottom and has the orange mouth. Belly directly facing you. It is from Farne based on what you say about it.

Cool. I know which one it is now! The orange mouth comes from foraging on the rusty wrecks around the Farnes.

Here is a screen grab of the RAW files in Lightroom. I reckon it is number 4. I thought it could have been number 1, because that one gives the most space for text and crop, but that doesn't show the belly. My favourite as an image (not as a cover) is number 6, which picked me up a highly commended in the Italian Asferico Wildlife Photog Contest (although I am yet to see the book of winners), and is now part of the 2020VISION image collection. The cover is almost certainly number 4.
Posted Image

Alex

p.s. Simon, you are ahead of me on Norwegian covers. I only have one, but I consider that a decent return from just 4 dives! Getting covers from top-class and top-conditions cold water dive destinations like Norway and Canada is not as cool as getting overseas covers from UK diving!

#9 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

#4 is correct
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#10 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:22 AM

Great shot Alex! It is great to see a UK shot on a US magazine front cover!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#11 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

Great shot Alex! It is great to see a UK shot on a US magazine front cover!

Thanks Adam and thanks for organising the day in the Farnes. I wish all UK diving days were as productive as those two at Capernwray shooting the VW beetle and trout, and then seals in the Farnes (oh, and pizza in between).

Thanks to Todd for scanning the cover for me, and for pointing out that the seal has clearly been eating Cheetos.

Posted Image

It is interesting how much space you need around a subject to work on a cover - with the cropping to the format and text going on top.

Alex

#12 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

When this magazine arrived in my mail I was eager to know why the seal had an orange mouth and went directly to the cover photo insert to find out.

Great job Alex on an image that is not only well composed and lighted but also tells a wonderful story about the seal's life around UK's Farnes wrecks.

Phil Rudin

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

Thanks, Phil. I am just kicking myself for not giving the magazine the Cheetos story instead!

Alex

#14 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

Maybe the seal was not eating the Cheetos but ..... :D

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#15 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

nice shot Alex. also good point on the needed space, you will note there wasn't enough space at the top even as the head cut into the words.
Covers are definitely a different animal when it comes to composition.

What was the relevance of the English dive to the mag? They did a story on English diving?!?! :D Don't see a mention of seals on the cover titles

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#16 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

Great shot Alex!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#17 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:14 AM

Gongrats Alex!
Good job!
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#18 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

I love the shot, too, Alex, and in addition to it being British, it's nice to see see a green-water shot featured. I think a lot of divers only think of (and it's reinforced by dive magazines) diving as blue-water sport, when there is actually some really nice green-water diving around the world (including here in the Pacific NW portion of the U.S. and BC, Canada).

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#19 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

Beautiful cover shot Alex. But I'm really LMAO at the possible Cheetos connections...Great job.
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#20 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Beautiful cover shot Alex. But I'm really LMAO at the possible Cheetos connections...Great job.

Why do you think he was so close?! Alex