3 replies to this topic

#1 susie sunshine

susie sunshine

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hello,

sorry totally new to this website and digital u/w photo but friends pointed me this way. Am purchasing and housing a Canon 7d and am wondering about strobes. Can strobes from 1 manufacturer (i.e. sea & sea) work with a housing from another manufacturer (i.e. ikelite)? Also has anyone shot u/w video with the 7D? How is it turning out? What lighting are you using? I have been hearing about Ikelites D161 movie substrobe and wondering if that is a good strobe to buy since it is for photo and video? Anyone tried the video with a red filter (don't know if this is even an option or not with this camera but had a friend use it with his u/w video before)? Thanks so much from a newbie!!! =)

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hi Susie,

Welcome! There is a wealth of info about the 7d here on this forum. Most strobes can be used with another manufacturers housing, although sometimes adapters may be needed. If you decide to use TTL, then some form of conversion circuitry will be needed. Many people with DSLRs find that TTL is not really necessary.

In terms of video, the 7d performs very well have a look here

For some info on lighting, look here

There are good comparison articles here and here

Hope that helps-try searching in the search box there's loads of info!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Tec diving, Cave diving, UW photography and videography.

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Adam gave you good links, also try to dig up more topics because there was a lot of discussion about 7D! What housing you will be using? What is your budget?
I have Aquatica housing with Inon Z240 strobes, and it is very good combination! For video lights I am planing to buy Fisheye FIX 1000 (my wish is Light & Motion Sunray 1000 or 1200 but the are way off my budget)! Fisheye FIX 1000 are very nice lights for CFWA video shooting. If you need any more info just ask and enjoy your days underwater!

Cheers

Alex

Canon 7D, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, Tokina 10-17, Canon 100mm macro, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#4 OkiMike

OkiMike

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

To resurrect an older thread, I have a 7D in a Hugyfot 7D housing with fisheye port (used with an EF-S 10-22mm IS USM lens) and use it with Halcyon Apollo 13.5 lighting (dual 50watt bulbs). Info on the lights can be found here: http://halcyon.net/lights/apollo

For stills, I've been shooting ambient light but am saving for some strobes, likely the Inon Z240s. Unless you're really into video (and moreso, video editing), I recommend getting some strobes first rather than video lights. Post-production on photos is a far easier and less time-consuming task than post-production video. And, as the saying goes, if it's easy and accessible, you'll use it a lot more and get your money's worth.

As for additional lenses, I've just purchased an EF 100mm f/2.8L IS, but will need to buy the Hugyfot port and port extension ring plus the aforementioned strobes before I can really put it to use underwater.

Best of luck to you!
Mike

Edited by OkiMike, 09 August 2011 - 09:56 PM.