• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doug.deep

doug.deep

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

The Timor-Leste Dive Photo Comp will be happening in Mid-October. Photographers who have had their work published, or who have previously placed in a photo competition, will have their airfares and all other costs subsidised - if accepted. Entry is by invitation. 30 places are still available. For further information and application details: http://www.underwatertimorleste.com/

#2 doug.deep

doug.deep

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

There are still a few places left in the Timor-Leste Dive Photo Contest.

East Timor is a very poor nation with a tragic recent history. It needs to establish a tourist industry to get back on its feet, and this competition is an important part of creating awareness and interest in East Timor as a dive destination.

There are five categories in the competition. The prizes for each category are: Ist Place: $US2500, 2nd Place $US1000, 3rd Place $US500. In addition, there will be 5 Honourable Mention prizes awarded, each receiving $US500.

As previously mentioned, photographers who have had work published and/or won or placed in a competition, will have their airfares and accomodation subsidised.

I was in East Timor last year. It is a fascinating place to visit and the diving is excellent.

For more information and registration: http://www.underwate...om/contest.html

Edited by doug.deep, 05 June 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

SECOND HAND GEAR DONATIONS?

OK all you guys, here's a chance to help out. As you might know a few of us on here (thanks doug deep!) are participating in this great initiative in Timor-Leste in October.

Well, the organisers want to have a couple of local Timorese divers who are keen to learn photography participate in the competition too...

... but obviously equipment is expensive when new, and as we see on here too often nearly worthless (to sell) when only a couple of years old. But still more than adequate to get someone taking great pictures.

So if you have some kit lying around... camera/lens/housing/strobes that you would be willing to donate to this initiative, drop me a line and we'll see if we can get a couple of kits together.

darren

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#4 doug.deep

doug.deep

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hi all,

The organisers of the contest are concerned that the rules they've specified may be a little harsh - I'm inclined to agree. The rules can be viewed here: http://www.underwate....com/rules.html

Please take a look, and if you think they need to be changed you can provide feedback on this forum, or to Wayne Lovell at this email address: wayneandann@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Doug

#5 doug.deep

doug.deep

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

This the response I've given to the organisers about the rules:

I believe the rules are a little harsh on the following points:

1.Whether or a diver has dive/evacuation insurance is the business of the individual diver, not the contest organisers. I would say the same about insisting on whistles and safety sausages. If the organisers are concerned about safety sausages, they should supply them to the buddies - if they do that, there will be no real need for photographers carry them.

I have dived overseas in many places and have never been asked whether or not I have insurance or specific safety devices like safety sausage and whistle. I don't see why it should be any different for the contest.

2. The red and yellow card business seems a little silly and officious. I think the organisers simply need to state that the organisers reserve the right to disqualify divers who break the rules.

3. It is unreasonable to expect divers to show an up-to-date medical certificate. Once again, this is something that dive operators worldwide never insist on, and there is no reason to make a special case for a competition. I certainly will not be making a special trip to the doctor to get an up-to-date certificate.

I applaud the conservation rules, they are spot-on.

Cheers,
Doug