May 8 - 19, 2010 at Peter's Dive Resort in Southern Leyte, Philippines.
- Beautiful coral reefs, both hard coral reefs and soft coral reefs.
- This is the slow season and there were max 8 people at the resort at this time. We were there for 10 days, but others came and went - a maximum of three days per party. We had reports of not enough accommodations in the town two months earlier.
- Whale sharks were still to be seen.
- Great night diving at the jetty in Padre Burgos 10 minutes from the resort.
- Dive boat was roomy and shady.
- Rental gear looked good although we did not use it, others were pleased with it.
- nice room for dive gear storage.
- Nitrox available at $5 extra/tank.
- Dive briefings were good.
- Good rinse tanks - separate tanks for cameras, wetsuits/BC's, and regulators.
- Large rinse tank on dive boat for cameras. The entire 10 days we were the only 2 people with SLR housed cameras.
- Fish are afraid of divers. They are subject to subsistence fishing locally and the marine protected areas are new and small in size.
- Dive guides were not very interested in finding critters for divers. The policy was to find the one pygmy seahorse, point to it and swim away. No attempt to show the next person, or assist in any way for anyone to get a photo. In a nutshell, two out of three dive guides we had just watched us.
- Boat might be difficult for some to board from shore - a ramp swaying from the side of the boat into the water.
There are both A/C and non A/C rooms, so be sure to ask if you want A/C. Some renovations were started during our visit so the dining and reception areas were moved. The resort takes MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Philippine Pesos, and US Dollars. The rooms were serviced once every 2-3 days at which time the power would probably be turned off and the batteries being charged would not charge. Best to request that they leave the power on after servicing the room.
The resort had an adequate restaurant, and there were several other places to dine within short distance.
Philippines - Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte
No replies to this topic