Photo
- - - - -

Digivid headaches... any suggestions on compact digital camera with good HD video?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fuzz

fuzz

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

I've been looking for a small camera with 720 or 1080 video mode to take on trips.

After a bit of research, I decided on an economical canon 960is with housing. I was very disappointed to find that the focus is locked when you start video... meaning if you're focused on something near and pan to something a bit farther away, the image will turn be out of focus. Reviews often neglect this aspect of video that I personally find very important for those of us who wish to use the video function with any regularity. :)

I know for a fact that my Sony w290 auto-focuses throughout the video; however the lense port is as big as the housing. Would prefer something smaller & more compact.

Does anyone have suggestions on a compact camera that has good video mode as well? I'm not asking for a lot specs-wise... would just like 720 or 1080p & the ability to pan from near to far objects in focus. :)

#2 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

I've been looking for a small camera with 720 or 1080 video mode to take on trips.

After a bit of research, I decided on an economical canon 960is with housing. I was very disappointed to find that the focus is locked when you start video... meaning if you're focused on something near and pan to something a bit farther away, the image will turn be out of focus. Reviews often neglect this aspect of video that I personally find very important for those of us who wish to use the video function with any regularity. :)

I know for a fact that my Sony w290 auto-focuses throughout the video; how ever the lense port is as big as the housing. Would prefer something smaller & more compact.

Does anyone have suggestions on a compact camera that has good video mode as well? I'm not asking for a lot specs-wise... would just like 720 or 1080p & the ability to pan from near to far objects in focus. :)

I have a panasonic ZS3 and its video is wonderful. It can auto-focus throughout the video.

#3 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:19 AM

Ikelite has a fairly conpact housing for the Sony W290. They give it full support for macro and wide angle lenses. Keep an eye out for an Ikelite housing for the Sony H55.

I have a Panasonic FX37 (25-125mm), very small and shoots 720p. The housing for that and its succesor cameras is fairly small. My camera doesn't shoot ACVHD or H.264, so the files are huge.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#4 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:03 AM

I have just bought a Panasonic TZ10 and housing, as it has 720p video with full zoom and focus control during shooting. Havent tried it under water yet but on land ive been most impressed. The vids are AVCHD so file size isnt that bad. I know the Fuji F80 has similar specs also so there are several options out there at a decent size and price