• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 12:03 AM

I was posting to another thread about oring materials when I thought of this. One of the reasons Sea&Sea might not want you to use NiMH batteries is because of the oring material they use. They use silicone or fluorosilicone (I'm pretty sure). Both of these types of orings are sensative to hydrogen. NiMH batteries off-gas hydrogen when they get hot during use. On the O-Ring Fluid Compatibility Guide which rate chemicals and fluids 1-4 (1=Recomended, 2=Probably Satisfactory, 3=Marginal 4=Not Recommended)silicone/fluorosilicone rates a 3 and Buna-N orings (standard black orings) rate a 1 when in an environment with hydrogen. I am trying to get the correct oring replacement sizes for my S&S ys90dx so I can switch them to Buna-N. They are not as delicate, so in my opinion more reliable. Just a thought.

________
Robert

#2 Tio Loco

Tio Loco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 08:34 AM

Interesting information, Robert! Certainly food for thought. Thanks, and please keep us posted on your search.

Richard

#3 Spinner

Spinner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 07:19 PM

Any thoughts on NiMH with Nikonos strobes? The O-rings are black (Buna-N?), and the instructions harp on the importance of venting hydrogen from the battery compartment, which makes me think that NiMH should be ok.

But they also specifically state that only NiCD and alkalines should be used.

Ben

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 07:31 PM

I've yet to hear of a strobe flooding or exploding due to NiMH batteries and people have been using them for a few years now.

I have heard of people flooding their housings - but as we all know, that is usually user error, not the batteries.

FWIW, I've splashed water on my batteries by accident a few times w/o incident.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org