10 replies to this topic

#1 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on Wetpixel. Hope everyone's doing well.

I've noticed some Wetpixelers with a similar setup, so I'm hoping for their advice.

I used to have an Olympus 5050 with Inon D2000 strobe, optical cable. I always set the camera in manual mode, forced flash (turned down to save battery power), Inon strobe on manual (-6 to -0.5) or full power (one had to insert a little magnet to turn of that advanced cancel circuit). Always worked flawlessly.

Recently I've upgraded to a Leica D-Lux 4 (same as Panasonic LX3) and today my 2 Inon Z240 strobes have arrived. They turned out to be bloody expensive due to the Tax man not liking me having some new toys, but that's a different story.

Anyway, so I thought I'd try the same settings.

D-Lux 4 on manual, forced flash, EV turned down to save battery power.
I connected the 2 Z240s via 2 optical cables.
On the Z240 to shut down that advanced circuit you apparently no longer have to insert a magnet but just push-and-turn a little button. So I did.
Strobes on Manual.

Everything seems to be going fine, i.e. both strobes are firingand gradually increasing output, until I turn the EV controler past that "green 8" on the dialer. Past 8 to 11, my strobes are no longer firing.
Also, when I put both of the strobes to FULL, they are not triggered by the flash of my camera either. :)
UPDATE: when the strobes are on FULL, they sometimes fire full force, but still the picture come out highly underexposed or black. I have tried different aperture and speed setting, but no difference.

Basically this means I cannot use the strobes at higher to full output.

Does anybody know what's wrong?? Any settings I have to adjust.

Just like the Inon D2000, the Z240 comes with a useless manual lol.

Hoping to get some advice.

Thanks alot in advance!

Bartus

PS: just came to think of it....I have the same problem with my Inon D2000. It seems the strobe won't be triggered by the Leica's flash, once the EV controller is past "8" or when the strobe is on FULL...

With both strobes I've been using Eneloop batteries.

Edited by bartusderidder, 02 June 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

How is the automatic set? s-ttl, automatic, manual or full?
Interpreting the colour codes and rings on the dials i guess:

Yellow = s-TTL + s-TTL low mode: works only where the yellow ring goes (green scale 1-7)
Green = Auto mode: works from numbers 1 - 11 as indicated by the green ring

I may try if and how it works with my G11. Done: Bad news, mine is fiering at 10 and 11 in all modes including full.

The Good news are: As both strobes AND the D-2000 don't fire i belive that the Strobes are OK and
there is a problem in a setting somewhere.

A stupid question, but: are you sure that the strobe of the camera is firing?

Some things to try:
- Try again with the internal flash set to full power
- try without magnet or knob, the cancel cirquit may have problems with a full dump
- is it possible that they don't fire because there is enough ambient light? Try it again in the dark.

Chris

Try to post the problem here in the Panasonic forum: http://www.scubaboar...nasonic-planet/, maybe someone had the same problem.

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 02 June 2010 - 10:56 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm only using manual and full.

As for the green "nr 8", I'm only using as a reference, it's the manual setting that correlates to that nr 8.

The thing is, it worked just fine with my Olympus 5050, but with the Leica D-Lux4, it's not. The 2 Z240s are a "slave" to the internal flash, so I don't get it why they are not fired properly, resulting in a black or highly underexposed picture.

Bartus

How is the automatic set?
s-ttl, automatic, manual or full?

Interpreting the colour codes and rings on the dials i guess:

Yellow = s-TTL + s-TTL low mode: works only where the yellow ring goes (green scale 1-7)
Green = Auto mode: works from numbers 1 - 11 as indicated by the green ring

I may try if and how it works with my G11.

Chris

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Bartus,
try to post your question also here: http://www.scubaboar...nasonic-planet/

I belive that it is absolutly impossible that 3 strobes are defective so there must be a setting
interferring with the strobe.

Set the camera to auto mode, A,S or P mode and retry

Good luck!

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

#5 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

-internal flash set to full power: no difference, the strobes don't fire or fire just a mininum ---> underexposed, dark picture.
-I tried with that button not pushed in, and yes, I can get FULL power....but according to the manual, if one is shooting manual and using the strobes on manual/full, you're supposed to push-and-turn the button
-with the internal flash set to "forced" flash, it always fires, regardless of the ambient light. I did try in a darker room, no difference.

A stupid question, but: are you sure that the strobe of the camera is firing?

Some things to try:
- Try again with the internal flash set to full power
- try without magnet or knob, the cancel cirquit may have problems with a full dump
- is it possible that they don't fire because there is enough ambient light? Try it again in the dark.

Chris

#6 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

I have tried that too, but unfortunately, it doesn't change a bit.

Set the camera to auto mode, A,S or P mode and retry
Chris

The really weird thing I find is that since I'm shooting manually, my internal flash is just there to trigger the strobes. So why would the strobes not fire anymore when I set them to a higher output?

Interestingly enough, I have noticed something else: when I push the shutter, I can clearly see the 2 Inon strobes are not firing in a synchronised way; one comes a tiny bit later than the other, but noticeable with the naked eye. I have swapped optical cables, but that doesn't change it; the same strobe fires a bit later than the other one.

If any other Inon Z240 users have experienced similar problems and/or have found solutions, I would definitely love you to hear!

Thanks alot in advance,

Bart

#7 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

-internal flash set to full power: no difference, the strobes don't fire or fire just a mininum ---> underexposed, dark picture.

Ehhm, one thing is if they fire but not enough, the other thing is when they don't fire at all. Those may be 2 complete different problems.

-I tried with that button not pushed in, and yes, I can get FULL power....but according to the manual, if one is shooting manual and using the strobes on manual/full, you're supposed to push-and-turn the button

Aha, so one problem may be related to the magnetic switch. When it works with the "wrong" setting everything would be fine
When everything works with the magnet/button in, use that setting, maybe they translated something wrong in tha manual....

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 02 June 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#8 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

Is there any preflash in your LUX4? I suspect yes and so your Z-240 flashed multiple times instead of just once.
When the power is less than 8, you strobes are able to recycle on time but not when it is more than 8. This is not the same as your C-5050 and my old C5060 as the manual flash in these 2 cameras do not have preflash.
Try to use the advance cancellation circuit and it should be okay. As for the button for advanced cancellation circuit, I was also confused and hence I only do it by trial and errors.

There is a similar discussion here
http://forums.dprevi...essage=32794359

Edited by kkfok, 02 June 2010 - 11:19 PM.

#9 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

Thanks alot for the comment.

I was indeed assuming the Leica's internal flash doesn't use pre-flash, similar to the Oly 5050 and 5060.
I'll try with the Advanced Cancel Circuit ON (= the little button OUT, NOT pushed in).

I'll post my finding.

Can't wait to get home to do the test.

Cheers,

Bartus

Is there any preflash in your LUX4? I suspect yes and so your Z-240 flashed multiple times instead of just once.
When the power is less than 8, you strobes are able to recycle on time but not when it is more than 8. This is not the same as your C-5050 and my old C5060 as the manual flash in these 2 cameras do not have preflash.
Try to use the advance cancellation circuit and it should be okay. As for the button for advanced cancellation circuit, I was also confused and hence I only do it by trial and errors.

There is a similar discussion here
http://forums.dprevi...essage=32794359

#10 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Look at: http://reefphoto.com...on=kb&article=7

The ACC should be on (button out)

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#11 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! Strobes are firing as they should!

It was indeed the Advanced Cancel Circuit button. I knew what it was for, I just assumed (wrongly) the Leica D-Lux 4 was not using preflash in manual mode with forced (internal) flash.

This owner of 2 Inon Z240 strobes, is now a HAPPY owner :-)

Thank you all!

Bart