• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oceansblue

oceansblue

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

I have bought Ikelite's SLR focus port 5508.46 for canon 100mm IS. A flat head is screwed to it so tight that I can't open it to check the o-ring and if it is tight enough. I was wondering if they come factory sealed and I only have to worry about the hind o-ring and connecting it to the UW case. If I need to open the head and check the o-ring then can you please advise how I should unscrew this without hurting the whole port?

I also have another port for my 17-40 and looks like the dome head is fixed. Do I need to check that out as well or I can use it safely.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Ali
iDigitalPhotographers.com help photographers learn best techniques, digital cameras and gear by interviewing famous digital photographers and sharing tips from the best digital photographers around the world. You can check famous underwater photographers for updates.

#2 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

Just the oring that's on the end of the port that goes into the housing.

Do a "dry" run of the hosing without the camera and a couple of weights in it.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#3 oceansblue

oceansblue

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Just the oring that's on the end of the port that goes into the housing.

Do a "dry" run of the hosing without the camera and a couple of weights in it.

Jack

How to put weights inside the housing prior to test? diving weights will hurt inside the housing won't it?
iDigitalPhotographers.com help photographers learn best techniques, digital cameras and gear by interviewing famous digital photographers and sharing tips from the best digital photographers around the world. You can check famous underwater photographers for updates.

#4 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

Not if you wrap them in a towel or t shirt.

But to be honest I have never bothered with the weights myself - even empty my previous housings have not been a problem 'empty' ( Ikelite & Subal ).

Paul C

Edited by PRC, 02 June 2010 - 10:17 AM.

Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#5 oceansblue

oceansblue

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Not if you wrap them in a towel or t shirt.

But to be honest I have never bothered with the weights myself - even empty my previous housings have not been a problem 'empty' ( Ikelite & Subal ).

Paul C

How deep should I test it Paul prior to use it with my digital camera?

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

How deep should I test it Paul prior to use it with my digital camera?

Just do a typical dive with it empty. Test it how you intend to use it.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 oceansblue

oceansblue

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:10 AM

Just do a typical dive with it empty. Test it how you intend to use it.

Alex

Ty Alex