4 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

New on the front page is an underwater videography tutorial written by Steve Douglas:
http://wetpixel.com/...raphy-tutorial/

Here are the first two paragraphs. Click through to read the whole thing!

Filming underwater can be challenging. Fish are not the most cooperative actors and will rarely perform their behaviors for multiple takes until you get the video clip filmed just right. You have to be immediately ready and capable when a good filming opportunity presents itself. Let us explore many of the skills you can utilize in order to maximize your abilities thus producing the best results for your filming endeavors. Filming video underwater is considerably different that shooting topside. On land you have the benefits of a tripod to keep your camera steady and your horizon straight. Underwater, the use of a tripod is not always pragmatic, yet unless you are filming your version of an underwater ‘Blair Witch Project’, the need to keep the camcorder steady is vitally important, as in essence, you are shooting handheld. There is nothing that will distract more from your filming efforts than a shaky shot. No matter how great the subject of your filming is it will be ruined and distracting if it is moving forward, backward, up and down.

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

O... so that's how you do it. :)
Great job Steve.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

Nice little tutorial - thanks for the post.
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Aimed for the newbie Wagsy....should help you though;-)
steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Aimed for the newbie Wagsy....should help you though;-)
steve

Good job Steve, you remembered eveything I taught you :B):