1 reply to this topic

#1 marktol

marktol

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hi All,

Im hoping to book a week in the Maldives at the end of October and have been looking at various resorts to stay and am looking for some advice. There is such a choice and from reading various trip advisor reports on various places there are some very good places to visit and some not so good places.

Im after somewhere with a good house reef thats not going to cost the earth.

Ive so far narrowed my possible's list down to 3 different places:-

Reethi Beach
Eriyadu
Embudu

From what I can tell Reethi is the most expensive of the 3 as from what ive read All Inclusive is the only way to go but Reethi is currently being refurbished so it should be looking great in October when im looking to go.

Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome!

Many thanks,
Canon G11, OEM Housing, Fantasea BigEye, Inon Z240 + D2000

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/mark.tolcher
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/marktol/

Visit My Website

#2 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Of those three, I have only visited Eriyadu - also in October 2006. We had great weather and calm seas for two weeks until our last (non-diving) day! If you are familiar with the Maldives, you will know that the weather can be quite variable and we were pretty lucky. Weather fronts can go through any time with associated tropical downpours and disturbed seas.
I liked the house reef there - easy entries, tank delivery system etc. All house reefs I have dived in the Maldives are a bit bashed due to el Nino 1998 plus diver traffic and Eriyadu is no exception but with this reservation I think Eriyadu to be a good one with tons of fish life. I did a few boat dives but stuck to the fairly simple ones as I hate trying to use an SLR in fierce currents and ending up with about three pics. These simple dives were pretty ordinary to me but folks who were more adventurous said they had some great dives incl a manta encounter and a few (distant) sharks.
The rooms were basic but clean and functional. The grub was good but of course these things change as managers and chefs change. My wife snorkels and she found the house reef super for this.
Hope this helps

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site