• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JPS

JPS

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 09:47 AM

This one is from Tulamben, Bali. The caudal fin is distinctive, but nevertheless I would benefit of help in identifying him/her!
Nikon D200, Ike housing, 2xDS125; Fuji E900 + Inon Z240

#2 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:43 AM

It looks like a tilefish - Family Malacanthidae. In the Allen & Steen book, there is a photo of a Flagtail Blanquillo that resembles your fish. In any case, my guess would be some species of tilefish.
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#3 JPS

JPS

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:22 AM

Thanks! The flagtail blanquillo seems to be also known as "quakerfish", http://www.fishbase....ary.cfm?id=5795, latin name Malacanthus brevirostris.

This is so much easier when someone gives the push to right direction!
Nikon D200, Ike housing, 2xDS125; Fuji E900 + Inon Z240

#4 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:43 PM

Glad I could help! Actually, I love to watch the sand tilefish of the Caribbean. They really have interesting behavior, which many divers miss by looking for the big animals. I love to get down in the hardpan or sand and shoot macro on the little fish that live there. The sand tilefish in the Caribbean aren't all that small - they grow up to about one foot or so (30 cm) - so they're easy to spot, although they can be very skittish.

Posted Image
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#5 Tuga

Tuga

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 12:55 PM

Here's a flagtail tilefish from Maui. It's the only tilefish we have. Hard to shoot before they disappear into the sand. This one was about 6-8 inches.

Posted Image