15 Dives in the Caymans

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

I just returned from a week aboard the Cayman Aggressor (my 3rd time on that boat), my first diving in over a year - and since my kidney transplant last October (dubbed Y3K - for "Yates' 3rd Kidney").

I chose that liveaboard and destination because I consider it about as easy as diving gets (great vis, warm water, no current, good food, etc.). This was a sort of "test trip" so my doctor could see how I fared, and fortunately I felt no ill effects from diving (I took it easy and only did 3 dives a day), and that means it is OK for me to start diving more! :B):

My gallery from this trip is HERE.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome!

I spent most dives shooting wide angle (Canon 14mm II or Sigma 15mmFE), which is an area of weakness for me. I only spent a few dives shooting fish and/or macro (all with the new 100mm IS lens, one dive adding a Kenko 3X TC). I was very happy with the new 100mm IS lens - sharp and fast-focusing, and not a bad fish lens in those gin-clear waters (although most of my fish shots are admittedly "ID" shots).

Finally, a reminder: be thankful that you are healthy enough to be able to participate in this sport/hobby/obsesson of ours! It's easy to take for granted...until there's a possibility you won't be allowed to do it any more!

Edited by bmyates, 10 June 2010 - 08:06 AM.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

That's really great news Bruce! Now off to take a look at your pix!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm glad to hear You are well Bruce! I can only imagine what a great feeling it must be to dive again!!!

I like a lot the stingray city pictures! Shallow, warm and a lot of light. During the last six months I have been working in cold waters and big depths - doing very strenuous dives, so looking at those shots just warms my heart. Seems like a perfect place to spend my vacation :B):

Thanks a lot for sharing Bruce and hope to see some more soon enough!

Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3014 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Whoo hooo! Great to hear you had a good trip. The jawfish sequence is killer. The W/A is looking great too.
Congrats partner. So good to know you're back in the water.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 DiveMasterMark

DiveMasterMark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, aviation

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Welcome back to the water!

Great images!
It's all a matter of perspective...

#6 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

Glad to hear you are back in the water. I am with Steve, liked the Jawfish shots

#7 BrendanS

BrendanS

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

Great to hear that you are back in the water Bruce !

You have a really nice site and love the pics, for me too the Stingrays are the Fav !

#8 RickM

RickM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Glad everything worked out for you, can only imagine how excited you must have been! Your perseverance on the jawfish really paid off - great shots.

#9 chadbeck

chadbeck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Finally, a reminder: be thankful that you are healthy enough to be able to participate in this sport/hobby/obsesson of ours! It's easy to take for granted...until there's a possibility you won't be allowed to do it any more!

Well said! And some very nice shots in there. I also like the website. I like not having to click thumbnails so I can just scroll through the photos.
Thanks for sharing

#10 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Well said! And some very nice shots in there. I also like the website. I like not having to click thumbnails so I can just scroll through the photos.
Thanks for sharing

My website is a custom site based on Smugmug's "pro" platform (which is about $150/yr as I recall), and it provides options for a bunch of different looks to galleries, including thumbnails or this type. I, too, find it nice to just be able to scroll down rather than clicking each thumbnail. I'm almost tempted to make all my galleries like that...

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields