10 replies to this topic

#1 Shoreliner11

Shoreliner11

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just travelled to Taiwan for some research and borrowed a pelican case from a friend for my 40d ikelite housing, arms, strobe, port etc. I packed the thing with foam to the best of my abilities but I didn't really think about padding the baseplate too much cause it was fairly snug in the case without padding. Well how wrong I was. The side of the base plate broke off in a similar spot in the picture I've attached. I've tried getting in contact with an ikelite dealer here in Taiwan but so far have had no luck. I'm thinking of trying to glue it. Any suggestions on glue? I'll be here for 2 months though the shipping isn't worth it to get one sent from the states. Thanks so much.

aaron

Attached Images

• Ikelite_dSLR_housing.jpg

Topside: Canon 40d 60mm f2.8, Sigma 10-20, Canon 70-200 f4L, Lee GND Filters
UW: Ikelite 40d housing, ds125, 10in/5in ike arms.

#2 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:51 PM

Crikey. That must have been some whack to break that - or the casting was faulty in the first place.

If you are using a strobe on that arm then glue isn't really an option but try an epoxy such as Araldite.

Think I would take it down to the local scooter repair shop and see if they can make some sort of mechanical repair such as riveting/bolting a piece of alu either side of the web and along the top. Its very easy to take it off the housing.

#3 Shoreliner11

Shoreliner11

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:35 AM

Yeah it was. I've travelled with pelican cases quite a few times and this is the first time I've seen a crack in any pelican case. Looks like it was dropped on entirely the right corner where the base was situated. Really happy all the other gear was foamed in place. The original foam that came with the pelican was cut to other equipment so I had to make my own and improvise a little. Anyhow, the side that broke was the side opposite my shutter release which would usually be holding my single ds125. I think until I can get a new one I'm going explore the glueing/bolting options and depending on how secure it is, try and see how awkward it is moving my strobe to the same side as my shutter release. Luckily scooter repair shots are everywhere here in southern taiwan. Thanks for the advice

aaron

#4 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:14 AM

.... Luckily scooter repair shots are everywhere here in southern taiwan. Thanks for the advice

Yes, I worked for 6 months in Kaohsuing. Scooter repair shops can be very helpful and are pretty good at cobbling bikes back together so hopefully can do something with your tray.

Good luck with it.

Tim

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

Yes Baltog is right,
even using epoxy glue it won't hold enough to resist the strain.

Bolting or screwing it togther will be the final and inexpensive fix or you try to
find a welder, able to weld aluminium. Have a look in a shipyard, there you might find one.

I have both of my underwater rig's in Pelicases and was thinking to get some other
brand ones as the are less heavy.
After reading your missfortune i changed mind in a microsecond and will stick with my Pelicases...
Holy cow, there is true brute force needed to break a Pelicase!

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

I have a custom stainless steel plate instead, heavy enough to help bouyancy, strong enough to not bend with normal use, or able to be bend back if enough force was apllied.

I have seen a pelican case crack open after being dropped from the airplane cargo hold unto the tarmac. Not my gear, but somebody very unlucky on our plane :) . I have in the past suggested Pelican owners to put their cases inside a cheap cardboard box. If dropped the cardbox will take the major impact and it lowers the theft profile of such cases.

Bo
7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#7 howeikwok

howeikwok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

Joe at Fun-in Taiwan might be able to help u out as well.

http://www.fun-in.co...php?language=en
Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s

#8 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

Balrog: fotoscubo714 pointed to a good solution with a simple stainless steel flat bar and the holes for the camera and the handles. I built mine for my Patima G11 housing in about 3 hours including grinding it off a bigger sheet, sanding and drilling the holes. Very light and easy to stow everywhere (except carry on luggage).

howeikwok: Thanks for the link!

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#9 Shoreliner11

Shoreliner11

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

Thanks so much for that link howeikwok. I just sent them an email, if I don't get a response I'll get a taiwanese friend to give them a call and translate for me. Luckily I haven't had a chance to take out my housing yet so I didn't have to see all the pictures I would have liked to take. Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions. If for some reason I can't get a baseplate through fun-in I'll be headed to the scooter repair shop.

aaron

#10 cboater

cboater

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

Using a cardboard box for checked luggage was my "vehicle" for getting a new, but broken, LCD TV home to the states from our place on Bonaire. The airlines were happy to handle it BUT they said their "insurance" would not cover any damage to the contents, if the box was broken in transit.

(Happily, the LCD screen survived the trip, thanks to a sheet of light plywood on top of foam corner brackets/packing material. It looked good enough that the retailer took it back and issued a full refund.)

Laura

#11 dsbierman

dsbierman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

This reply is probably coming a few weeks late for you, Aaron, but I'm in Taipei and have an extra Ikelite tray I could sell U. It's an older model with fixed arms. Just send me an email if you're interested. -David