Bossk focus light for Ikelite / Canon 30D

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DanInSoCal

DanInSoCal

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography (duh!), in addition to scenic, nature, portrait, and landscape photography. I am also a karate instructor, professional scientific software developer, and father of a one-year-old daughter. So, I am also busy.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hi, all. I am looking at this light: Bossk BigBlue FF-1x5W LED Focus Light

Anyone have any experience with it? It looks just fine as a focus light, has auto-shut-off when strobe is detected, all that good stuff; comes with a ULCS-compatible ball; and lacks the massive sticker shock of other lights.

Thanks much,
Dan
Underwater Gallery

Canon 30D / Ikelite housing / DS-160 strobe / 18-55IS and 100 macro lenses
Plus lots of old pics taken with Canon A710IS in a Canon housing

#2 DanInSoCal

DanInSoCal

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography (duh!), in addition to scenic, nature, portrait, and landscape photography. I am also a karate instructor, professional scientific software developer, and father of a one-year-old daughter. So, I am also busy.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Wow, so many replies, I can't even count them!

In any case, after some additional digging and realizing how very large this light is, I think I'm going to go for the Bossk Al 1x5 (which is much, much smaller).

Thanks,
Dan
Underwater Gallery

#3 indoreef

indoreef

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hey Dan,
I had looked at both of those lights as a focus light and eventually went with the FF 1x5 AFO light. I liked that it uses AA batteries, so I can use the same batteries and chargers as I already have for my strobes and it has a longer burn time than the smaller one. I also like the "auto flash off" while the strobes fire. Some people don't like it or may argue the need for it as the strobes will usually overpower light from the focus light, but I'd rather have the light coming purely from the strobes. Plus the FF 1x5 comes with a handle for using as a dive light or a ball adapter to mount to my camera. The biggest downside was size and weight, but compared to many other popular focus lights out there, there is not that much difference. Plus it was in the price range I was looking at. The Fisheye Fix lights are really nice, but I find the amount of light given by the Big Blue lights to be fine for using as a focus light and for the price, I was really happy with my choice. If the AAA batteries, shorter burn time and lack of AFO does not matter to you, then the smaller light would probably be just fine. They both seem to have the same beam angle and brightness.
Nikon D90/Nauticam Housing/Sea&Sea YS110 Strobes/Nikon 60mm/Nikon 105mm/Tokina 10-17mm/ULCS arms
http://www.vijayraman.com

#4 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

I gave a LOT of thought to going with the 1x5, and ended up (today, in fact) deciding that it just didn't work for me.

I do love the auto-off feature, but I think Big Blue miffed the implementation a little. The light cuts out for THREE SECONDS (and no, that's not configurable) with each shot. I don't know about you, but it's quite common for me to take more than one shot in three seconds, and beyond that, it's extremely rare for me to ever use shutter speeds over 1 second. I think the Fix/Fisheye Mini/Nano LED lights, with their 1 second cut-out, are about perfect. Three seconds is just too long, to my mind.

And the Big Blue is just that... BIG. Too big. Just too many little odd things with it gave me pause and kept me from pulling the trigger.

Instead, I went with the I-Torch VDO. Ordered mine today. It's more than the Big Blue, yes, but I feel like I can live with the feature set better, and it's smaller, lighter, and less intrusive than the Fix LED500 (which has the same price) or the Big Blue.

Edited by CompuDude, 15 June 2010 - 10:30 PM.

#5 Natalie_S

Natalie_S

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, travel

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:59 AM

Hi Dan,

I have this light and use it all the time. It's reliable and rechargeable batteries last a long time in it. Yes, it is big but when I'm not using it I fold it down so the point points up and the front is resting on top of my port. That way it becomes more compact for carrying, packing, etc.

Hi, all. I am looking at this light: Bossk BigBlue FF-1x5W LED Focus Light

Anyone have any experience with it? It looks just fine as a focus light, has auto-shut-off when strobe is detected, all that good stuff; comes with a ULCS-compatible ball; and lacks the massive sticker shock of other lights.

Thanks much,
Dan

Nikon D300 in Sea & Sea housing, 10.5 mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 100 mm, SubSee diopter, Woody's diopter, 2x YS-110 strobes, BossK Big Blue 170 focus light.

Underwater photos

Portraits and Fashion

#6 DanInSoCal

DanInSoCal

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll post something in a few weeks once I get the housing back from Ikelite and the light and attachments from Backscatter; and I actually get a chance to go diving with them.

Dan
Underwater Gallery