Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Does anyone know if there are any airlines that fly direct from London to West Palm Beach or even Fort Lauderdale. I am trying to get some prices for flights but some of the routes are crazy. All help appreciated.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

Just go London->Miami, and get a cab or something to bring you to west palm.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#3 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

I don't know any airline that flies from London to FLL or West Palm Beach. However, it's much too expensive to go by cab from MIA to West Palm Beach Airport. The cheapest way is probably by Tri-Rail.

Tri Rail from MIA to West Palm Beach Airport

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#4 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:34 AM

I don't know any airline that flies from London to FLL or West Palm Beach. However, it's much too expensive to go by cab from MIA to West Palm Beach Airport. The cheapest way is probably by Tri-Rail.

Tri Rail from MIA to West Palm Beach Airport

Ellen

When you say " expensive " how much are you talking. $50,$100,$150 there will be 3 of us travelling so splitting it 3 ways wont be too bad. Cheers for the train link Ellen.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#5 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:09 AM

Ive used a private car company several times going from MIA to WPB (jim's), and i believe we paid something like $160, which we shared with 3 people. They were waiting for us at the gate, and the whole thing went very smooth. You may want to look into a van service if you have a lot of luggage. Sounds very fancy, 'private car company' but it's not fancy at all :notworthy: Just practical. I really would not want the aggravation of public transit if im on a stressful trip :) Really, how expensive is the trip, the flight, and everything else? And why try and save $50 and make it a huge hassle.

#6 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:54 AM

Agree with Cor; the Tri-Rail will also not drop you anywhere close to the dock so you will have to get a cab from the Tri-rail station.
Generally direct flights from the uk to fl or wpb will be charters, good deals if you can find them and they fit your schedule
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#7 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

Cheers guys, I will look at trying to get a biggish car to take us.

Stew

#8 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

How about flying into Atlanta with connect to West Palm?
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#9 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

Only just seen this Stew.

Honest your best bet is Virgin LGW-MIA, pick up a rental car, overnight in MIA area, drive down next morning via Reef Video to completely unload the Visa card.

In the past I have used Hertz as they have an office in the strip next to Jims (ASS-ume you are talking a JASA trip here ).

This next trip I couldn't sort the drop off as the office is closed on Sunday so have to drop off in West Palm Beach Airport and cab it back.

On the return from the JASA trip I pick up a car from Hertz and drop it in MIA in time for the evening Virgin flight.

BA also have direct flight - are you feeling lucky ? - the way they are these days they are probably using BP fuel....

Paul C

Edited by PRC, 23 June 2010 - 09:20 PM.

Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#10 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

Only just seen this Stew.

Honest your best bet is Virgin LGW-MIA, pick up a rental car, overnight in MIA area, drive down next morning via Reef Video to completely unload the Visa card.

In the past I have used Hertz as they have an office in the strip next to Jims (ASS-ume you are talking a JASA trip here ).

This next trip I couldn't sort the drop off as the office is closed on Sunday so have to drop off in West Palm Beach Airport and cab it back.

On the return from the JASA trip I pick up a car from Hertz and drop it in MIA in time for the evening Virgin flight.

BA also have direct flight - are you feeling lucky ? - the way they are these days they are probably using BP fuel....

Paul C

Paul:

How easy is it to navigate? I'm overnighting in a motel that (says Jim) is near to Jim's.

Jim's said Tri-Rail when I asked for advice, by the way...

... and I'm flying BA because I booked it ridiculously early (just as Stew seems to have booked it ridiculously late)!

So, Stew: which flight are you on?

Tim

:)

#11 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

I have not booked yet and Iam not going on a JASA trip. I have chartered the Dolphin Dream for 10 days. We are going next march so I have plenty of time.

I think I will fly in to Miami and get a big car to transfer us.

Stew

#12 Hamish Morrison

Hamish Morrison

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:04 AM

We took the Tri Rail last year. It's very efficient & cheap & you don't have to worry about traffic. As long as you leave yourself plenty of time its pretty stress free. Just make sure your taxi driver at the other end knows where you're going. Ours didn't...

Hamish.
My Flickr
Canon 5D, 17-40mm, 15mm FE, 100mm Macro, Subal C5 and Inon 240's

#13 bdickson

bdickson

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

Stew

Just make sure you book the car/van ahead of time with a reliable livery company. The walk up taxis at MIA can be less than reliable, and many of the drivers don't speak much English. I lived there for 10 years, this is from personal experience.

Bruce Dickson

#14 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Just make sure you book the car/van ahead of time with a reliable livery company. The walk up taxis at MIA can be less than reliable, and many of the drivers don't speak much English. I lived there for 10 years, this is from personal experience.

Bruce Dickson

Cheers for the headsup. I have been to Miami before and realize there are not too many Americans there. I will do a some research and look for a reputable company to go through. I wouldnt be standing on the roadside with my thumb out :) shouting out TAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

Stew

#15 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Cheers for the headsup. I have been to Miami before and realize there are not too many Americans there.

They say Miami is just like Cuba except in Cuba more people speak English!
(I lived there for 10 years as well. ;) )
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#16 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3051 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

there are not too many Americans there.

Hey Stew they are all Americans. They just don't speak the language that you would recognise.

Chao,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#17 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have a phone# of a company ive used several times. Very reliable. They're a 'limo service', but it's really just a fancy car. I thought the price was reasonable sharing between 3 people. If you want it, let me know.

#18 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

I have a phone# of a company ive used several times. Very reliable. They're a 'limo service', but it's really just a fancy car. I thought the price was reasonable sharing between 3 people. If you want it, let me know.

PM sent Cor

Cheers.

Stew

#19 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

I have not booked yet and Iam not going on a JASA trip. I have chartered the Dolphin Dream for 10 days. We are going next march so I have plenty of time.

Stew

My mistake...

... apologies for that.

Tim

#20 col

col

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

I drove from MIA to WPB last time too - easy drive :) Picking up the car at MIA was a bit of a mission though... and allow yourself plenty of time too as the car rental counters get pretty busy.
Colin Lee | zenfolio/colinlee