Heading to Beqa Lagoon Resort Aug 2010

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 divedeepbaby

divedeepbaby

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Photographer, Shooting anything both above and below the water, Riding my FJR1300 and any adventurous activity I can get involved with.<br /><br />Facebook contact is www.facebook.com/terence.w.moore

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi,

I am heading to Beqa Lagoon Resort for 18 glorious nights in August. I wanted to know if anyone has travelled there recently that could provide up to date input on their adventure, what did they think of their trip, and highlights.

I hope to do the 5 shark trips, so I would appreciate any comments, such as if you had any difficulties shooting them or helpful hints that would make these dives successful.

Thanks for your time in advance!

Cheers!
Terry Moore NREMT-Paramedic
www.TerryMooreImages.com
Canon 1Ds Mark III, Canon 14mm f2.8 L USM, 100mm f.28 L IS USM, 16-35mm f2.8 II L USM, 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM - Aquatica 1Ds housing with Aqua View, Remote trigger, 9.25" Mega Dome and twin Ds-160 Ikelite strobes on TLC arms

#2 Lukeb

Lukeb

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:17 AM

Good luck trying to get all the bloody fish out of the way to take a pic of a shark!
You'll love it.

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

You're going to love it Terry. Wonderful place to decompress a little. The Dive Shop here in Tucson goes there 4 times a year and we are treated like family. The people on that little island may be the friendliest people on the planet. Make sure to take the opportunity to visit the village and the school a few hundred yards behind the resort. If you have room in your bags try and take the kids school something, colored pencils, paper, etc. There are a about 150 little ones, and they can use just about anything.

Ask for an ocean front bure, and watch out for the falling coconuts. Oh yeah, the diving is great too.

Bula!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

18 nights sounds like a lot Terry. I would look into a move some-time around day 7 - but that's just me.

You'll have a tough time photographing the sharks, but it will be some interesting diving. I hope you've also got lots of reef diving planned for around Beqa.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 divedeepbaby

divedeepbaby

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Photographer, Shooting anything both above and below the water, Riding my FJR1300 and any adventurous activity I can get involved with.<br /><br />Facebook contact is www.facebook.com/terence.w.moore

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

@ Luke, from what I have read about the shark dive I see it will be a challenge to get a good clean shot. I figure doing mulitple shark trips will increase my chances to nail a handfull of neat shots.

@ Steve, I have a Koi pond bure for the first 4 nights then the remaining two weeks at a beachfront, thanks for the warning about the coconuts, I will be sure to look out for them. I will see what room I have for extra pencils and stuff for the children. I agree that the Fijians are the friendliest people on the planet, I did a short trip to Fiji back in 2003 and loved it.

@ G'Day James, yeah I agree 18 nights is a long time, but I have Joe Holley with Marine Visions and Mike from H2O Photo Pros arriving 4 days after I get there, for a week and when they leave my mother will join me for the last week. So moving is not really possible. The pro's for staying in one spot that many days? I have 15 dive days planned so I will get to see a lot of reef and sharks, Plus I am taking a lot of above water camera stuff to see if I can capture some very nice commercial type images of the resort. After scouring the web I havent found many great images of the resort so I hope to use all those days to come home with a lot of very nice images.

Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it.

Cheers!
www.TerryMooreImages.com
Canon 1Ds Mark III, Canon 14mm f2.8 L USM, 100mm f.28 L IS USM, 16-35mm f2.8 II L USM, 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM - Aquatica 1Ds housing with Aqua View, Remote trigger, 9.25" Mega Dome and twin Ds-160 Ikelite strobes on TLC arms

#6 matt215

matt215

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

i'll be there in august too. i'm a shark nut so i will be doing multiple shark dives too. from the videos i've seen, it looks like it will be very hard to get a good shot of a shark b/c of all the little fishies.
this will be my first time for good reef "action" and i am looking forward to that. i'm not sure how to photograph the reef stuff though. i've got 2 macro lenses, but i honestly think that i'll use the trusty ole 17-40L.
i'm there 20-28. where are you there?
Canon 5D mk2, Ikelite housing, Ikelite 125 strobes, 17-40 mm 4.0 L, 100 mm, 24-150 mm L, 100-400 mm 5.6 L
Visit My Website
Visit My Website

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Guys when you do the shark dive try to get on the up current side of the line. I think the end is the best spot for pictures. The sharks will almost always come up current and the fish bits in the water will be going away from you. Don't forget to look behind you once in a while, you never know who is going to join the party.

Have fun!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#8 chadbeck

chadbeck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

I was there in March and it is a wonderful place to unwind that is for sure. The people are great and if you get them to take the boats out to the far ends of the lagoon the diving is much better that is for sure. As for the shark dive the Wed. ones are the best because it is just the Beqa resort the other days are packed because of the people from the main land joining you. My tips are due what ever you can to sleep on the plane because its a long trip from the airport to the resort. The shore dives are better if you go to the right from the beach. The left side there isn't anything to see. Get Suh as a dive guide he will let you stay back from the group to take shots and let you stay down much longer than everyone else, and he plays the guitar between dives which I really enjoyed. Have him take you one night back to the village to do a Kava ceremony with the villagers a great time to sit around with them and listen to stories and see how they actually live. One of the nights I went back it was a villagers daughters birthday so it was a full on meal that they cooked in the ground and cake. Truly a great time. If there is anything more you want to know just ask. I love that place.
Chad

#9 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Bula Bula!

I was diving Beqa Lagoon in June and did 5 days of shark diving. I recommend diving with Brandon from Aqua Trek rather than their competitor.
Yes, clean shark images are difficult to come by, but not impossible. There are hundreds if not thousands of fish trying to get a bite of the bait. If you dive with one operation and they get to know you as a safe diver and avid photographer, they will put you RIGHT UP FRONT with the bull sharks. My dome port was actually bumped two times by bulls. These are ROTUND, STOUT bull sharks. On one of the dives a 15 foot female tiger decided to visit as well. If you are looking for the perfect shark image, go with Jim Abernathy @ Tiger Beach. That being said, I would definitely dive Beqa Lagoon again.
The down side of the Beqa shark dive is that regardless of what dive operation you go with, it is a complete and total cattle call! Don't let this discourage you, though, because as I said, if they like you they will most definitely give you a VERY front row seat. Also the non-shark diving in Beqa Lagoon is also very nice. Beautiful soft coral bommies. Enjoy!!!!

#10 divedeepbaby

divedeepbaby

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

i'll be there in august too. i'm a shark nut so i will be doing multiple shark dives too. from the videos i've seen, it looks like it will be very hard to get a good shot of a shark b/c of all the little fishies.
this will be my first time for good reef "action" and i am looking forward to that. i'm not sure how to photograph the reef stuff though. i've got 2 macro lenses, but i honestly think that i'll use the trusty ole 17-40L.
i'm there 20-28. where are you there?

Hi Matt, I will be there from 17 Aug to 4 Sept. I am getting good info here to wrap my mind around a decent plan to maximise my opportunities. I have pre booked 3 double dive shark trips so far to be sure I have a spot. Reef shooting is pretty easy, when we hook up I can give you some helpful pointers. I am planning on doing a lot of shore dives to play with my snoots with the little critters. So I will see you there!! Cheers!
www.TerryMooreImages.com

#11 divedeepbaby

divedeepbaby

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:43 AM

Bula Bula!

I was diving Beqa Lagoon in June and did 5 days of shark diving. I recommend diving with Brandon from Aqua Trek rather than their competitor.
Yes, clean shark images are difficult to come by, but not impossible. There are hundreds if not thousands of fish trying to get a bite of the bait. If you dive with one operation and they get to know you as a safe diver and avid photographer, they will put you RIGHT UP FRONT with the bull sharks. My dome port was actually bumped two times by bulls. These are ROTUND, STOUT bull sharks. On one of the dives a 15 foot female tiger decided to visit as well. If you are looking for the perfect shark image, go with Jim Abernathy @ Tiger Beach. That being said, I would definitely dive Beqa Lagoon again.
The down side of the Beqa shark dive is that regardless of what dive operation you go with, it is a complete and total cattle call! Don't let this discourage you, though, because as I said, if they like you they will most definitely give you a VERY front row seat. Also the non-shark diving in Beqa Lagoon is also very nice. Beautiful soft coral bommies. Enjoy!!!!

Bula!! fingers crossed I will get right in the thick of it, not sure who I am diving with, but I will probably stick with whoever I start with. Thanks for your comments, it adds to the excitement as my trip gets closer, Cheers!
www.TerryMooreImages.com

#12 divedeepbaby

divedeepbaby

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:52 AM

Guys when you do the shark dive try to get on the up current side of the line. I think the end is the best spot for pictures. The sharks will almost always come up current and the fish bits in the water will be going away from you. Don't forget to look behind you once in a while, you never know who is going to join the party.

Have fun!
Steve

Great hints thanks mate!
www.TerryMooreImages.com

#13 chadbeck

chadbeck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Oh and bring extra of anything you think you may need. There isn't any stores to pick up things you need. That goes for diving and the other. They do have some spare equipment and things but you almost need to treat it like a liveaboard. Its a hour by boat back to the main land and expensive unless you can hitch a ride with the locals ferry.