• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

I know we have this discussion all the time with the video side of things.

No cat's being released yet but I am after a surf housing for my 5DMkII, have found the manufacturer in Oz. Just wondering if the requirement for a flat or dome port bears true as much in this instance as it does for video? I'm planning or shooting with a 10-22mm L Lens.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

the 10-22 lens is a EFS lens and not designed for the a FF sensor. the equivalent lens is the 16-35 in a full frame camera. I have a aquatica housing for sale that could be used for surf photo/video.

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

A dome port is required to preserve the wideangle lens's field of view - but that is ONLY underwater. Above water it doesn't matter as much.

I agree about the 10-22 - you can't use it. I would look at the 17-40L and the 15mm fisheye.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

If you have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 you could give that a try. It works fine on the 5D Mark II, but only at 15-16mm.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#5 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:48 AM

Thanks guys, Was getting my words fuddled. Not gonna risk the 5D2 just yet. Am going with the old 400D using the 10-22mm EFS Lens. On the same pointer though. Setting Manual Focus, I'm getting the basic housing from Liquid Eye so there's the requirement to completely set the camera up before hand. I'm thinking priority shutter would be the best for all variables and go to about 1/800th as I've been getting great results from that ballpark for top side shots with the 100-400mm with extenders.

Lastly, OK so its a flat port but I'd also like to give the under the wave shots a go. Ready for a bruising I know but it seems like great imagery could be had from that, plus it would be needed for the project anyway. I was wondering about setting focus on land and then how that focal distance would then be effected once the system is submerged, given the densities of the differing mediums etc.

Cheers in advance.
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -