• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dixter

Dixter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Just got back from Bonaire... used the G10 in a canon housing.. noticed on some dives a few drops of water in the housing...
The question is that i remember seeing a post here about two or more months ago showing how the water leaks into the housing and
how to fix it... but I can't find the post now... anyone here remember where and can you point me to it... thanks in advance...

#2 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

From my understanding the issue was to do with some small 'bumps' that were underneath the O ring which were formed from the mold. I think you need to remove the O ring and run your finger around to find them and then gently sand them away.

Hope this helps.

Karl
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#3 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

http://www.scubaboar...sy-diy-fix.html

HTH

Edited by escape, 16 July 2010 - 05:59 AM.

#4 slowhands

slowhands

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:44 AM

From my understanding the issue was to do with some small 'bumps' that were underneath the O ring which were formed from the mold. I think you need to remove the O ring and run your finger around to find them and then gently sand them away.

Hope this helps.

Karl

I did not believe this until I got a new Canon housing and looked for the mold release lines. They look like slightly raised lines through the area where the O-ring seals. I could see they might allow a slight leak at pressure. Sanding actually makes things rough, not smooth. You just can't see it if you use 3000 grit.

As a woodworker, I know the best way to make wood really smooth is simply to scrape it with a sharp edged tool, called .. a scraper. Any sharp edge will do. I use the back edge of a utility knife blade, not the cutting edge but the back. It's fairly sharp and will not do harm. Just run it over the tiny ridge until all is smooth. Don't apply so much pressure that you add to the problem, just drag the edge over the mold release lines until you can't feel them with your fingers. There are typically 4 hairline mold release lines under the O-ring. Pity Canon left this quality control step to the customer, but that's life. I like the housing otherwise, bone dry for me.