Photo
- - - - -

To get proper depth of field in INON UFL-MR130 EFS60 Underwater Micro Semi-Fisheye Relay Lens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cho

cho

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

I have used this Pinocchio lens for 8 month. Only now I realized how can I get good sharpness on background model or other stuffs,
When I began to use, I just adjusted distance of focus simply on foreground subject. After that, I compare with Tokina 10-17 macro wide shot , I could not find any advantage of this long nose lens over Tokina combo setting( plus teleconverter). But recently I realized that to get good sharpness of background subject I should adjust focus distance on foreground subject as far as possible. After all I could get better sharpness of background subjects than my tokina 10-17 combo set. All those are pictures taken by lnon long nose lens.

Attached Images

• _MG_4197.jpg
  • 63__1_of_1_.jpg
  • _MG_8240.jpg
  • _MG_9757___49324___48376_.jpg
  • 61__1_of_1_.jpg

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

Great info, Cho. Thanks for sharing. I know quite a few people frustrated at being unable to unlock this lens's potential.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 dkrm

dkrm

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:08 AM

Thxs for the info Cho. I am one of the frustrated person too. Can you elaborate what you mean by "I should adjust focus distance on foreground subject as far as possible"

Thanks in advance
1Ds MIII S&S Housing (For Sale with all ports, gears, INON Viewfinder, TTL Converter) YS250
5D MII Seacam Housing Seaflash 150

#4 cho

cho

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

Thxs for the info Cho. I am one of the frustrated person too. Can you elaborate what you mean by "I should adjust focus distance on foreground subject as far as possible"

Thanks in advance

Sorry maybe it was not enough that I explain about my concepts on how to adjust focus distance. Actually this long nose lens has great depth of field.It has longer infocus area than other ordinary lens. I mean main subject should be located at the point of nearest infocus area from camera , not center of infocus area.

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

Gosh, that sounds like a 'hit or miss' technique. I assume you are shooting the Canon 60mm on manual focus and try to catch the subject at the front of DOF. That must be somewhat of a 'guesstimate' and probably reliant on focus bracketing. It must a devil of a job to balance this with capturing the 'peak of the action' too. Have I interpreted your technique accurately Cho? I'd be very grateful for any further insight you can give. Thanks.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have not found that this is the case. If you focus behind your subject when looking through the optical viewfinder, it will almost certainly be out of focus. In my system, I have to front focus in order to get the main subject in focus. If there is a rear subject, it will only be in focus if the depth of field happens to be wide enough for it to be sharp (which is nearly impossible if you are shooting something that is very close to the lens, which is where the lens excels in sharpness).
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#7 cho

cho

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

I agree absolutely.
It would be not easy to make subject be placed at just front site of infocus area exactly. In my opinion, for this reason, focusing braketting(?) would be needed as the mention of Timmoranuk. Anyway subject should be placed on very front point of infocus area,not exceeding of infocus limit.

Edited by cho, 19 July 2010 - 08:02 AM.