69 replies to this topic

#21 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:28 AM

Is this anything similar to my problem Jean?

It looks like it could be, just to be sure I'll have a part fowarded to you too when they are ready.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#22 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

Not had a problem with my D90 in a Nexus housing but also have not given it much service in the housing so far. Going to Indonesia in Oct and now you all have me nervous! But rather than take a second body, perhaps just take some duct tape...
Can anyone post a picture of the Aquatica button that is triggering the D90? Interested to see how it compares to the Nexus housing.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#23 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

Not had a problem with my D90 in a Nexus housing but also have not given it much service in the housing so far. Going to Indonesia in Oct and now you all have me nervous! But rather than take a second body, perhaps just take some duct tape...
Can anyone post a picture of the Aquatica button that is triggering the D90? Interested to see how it compares to the Nexus housing.

Yo Dave,
I am assuming that my D80 and your D90 shutter button are the same. I have used my Nexus D80 rig for several years without a problem. Since the D90 is proubly out of production, it couldn't hurt to pick up a spare. I like to leave one camera in the housing set to go and another to shoot top side stuff.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#24 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hi Pam, strangely enough after over 20 years of using the same trigger lever design on our housing we started seing this issue with the D90 and not on any other Nikon cameras, I know that its not exclusive to our housing, but be it as it may, we are actively working on a modification to cure that weakness on the D90 trigger button, it still need to be proof tested and if it does indeed pass the testing stage (it should) it will go into production and anybody who wants a replacement part just need to e-mail me at jean@aquatica.ca and I will be happy to send them the parts, so far the modification design only requires minor work easily done by even the most mechanically challenged individual. So again its jean@aquatica.ca

Jean - Thanks for the update on what is happening with this. I really do appreciate the attention at Aquatica to details like this - as well as your involvement on wetpixel with the group. And you would probably be talking about me in terms of mechanically challenged - thank goodness my husband can fix almost anything.

Bob...for right now, the D90 is still available - but for how long is anyone's guess right now. I would agree with getting a spare if you can. I found them on sale a couple of months ago (at $750.00 for the body only - no tax or shipping with that). Do not know what they are right now.

DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#25 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

A spare D90 body would be a smart move by me. But then if I am spending that amount of money, I would rather spend a bit more and get an Inon 45 degree viewfinder....until my sole body goes out on a trip and would wish for the other choice.

A 'special' moment was last yr when the wife agreed to the purchase of the Nexus housing/ports, etc. She said, "Go ahead and get it so we can stop spending money on u/w photography all the time."
It was so hard not to laugh...I had to nod in silent agreement with no body language to give it away. :)

www.shiningseastudio.com

#26 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

I have never had a spare body for any of my DSLRs (although I would if I earned more money) and I have never had a problem than has needed one.

It is not essential.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#27 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

you better knock on wood right about now there Mister

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#28 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

I have never had a spare body for any of my DSLRs (although I would if I earned more money) and I have never had a problem than has needed one.

It is not essential.

Alex

I am not exactly flush with cash either and lack Dave’s masking abilities. I bought my daughter a D80 for Christmas and she kindly lets me borrow it for dive trips. That way I have two cameras.
Bob

#29 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

I had my shutter button break last year too with the Aquatica housing. Luckily it was under warranty. I was able to tape the button back on during the trip and was able to continue shooting.

Kirk

#30 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:21 AM

I had to have my shutter button replaced in my Nikon D80. I had the D80 in an Ikelite housing.

I would love be able to fit the D90 replacement straight into my Aquatica AD90 without any mods. Maybe even just a rear end of the housing upgrade. Could be an idea for housing manufacturers to offer just the rear end upgrade instead of buying a whole new housing. I know I would buy one straight away.

Cheers Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#31 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

We did with the D200 to D300 since both had the same front, the D300 to D300s we couldn't since we meanwhile changed our approach from using casting to machining on a 5 axis machine from solid aluminum.

If possible we always try to work it in the line up.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#32 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

We did with the D200 to D300 since both had the same front, the D300 to D300s we couldn't since we meanwhile changed our approach from using casting to machining on a 5 axis machine from solid aluminum.

If possible we always try to work it in the line up.

hi Jean.

If its just the rear end upgrade what would you say the price would be say for the D90 to the D90 replacement?

Do you ever get to see the new models before they are released to the public?

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#33 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:54 AM

hi Jean.

If its just the rear end upgrade what would you say the price would be say for the D90 to the D90 replacement?

Do you ever get to see the new models before they are released to the public?

Regards Mark

It is usually half if not more of the housing, the rear is by far the most complex of the two parts to manufacture, much more moving parts, holes to be drilled, shaft to be machined, so one has to be careful when calculating these factors, the rear of the housing, funny enough, does not gererally benefit from the same stature as the front does.

We never, ever, ever (or rarely :) ) get to see a camera before the public, not officially at least LOL, thruth is we have a very cordial and friendly relationship with the local sales rep, and they are often kind enough to supply us with their demo in the first few day that they get them so it can be scanned in 3D.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#34 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

I would love be able to fit the D90 replacement straight into my Aquatica AD90 without any mods. Maybe even just a rear end of the housing upgrade. Could be an idea for housing manufacturers to offer just the rear end upgrade instead of buying a whole new housing. I know I would buy one straight away.

Nexus did that with the D80 to D90, if memory serves correctly. I do not recall the price for the rear housing modification but it was much better than the price of a new housing.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#35 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

Nexus has a large acrylic window insert that lends itself to this kind of mods, In our case, because of extended depth rating issues, it is not an approach we can or will consider using so we have to make it out of solid aluminum and not just swap a back window.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#36 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

It is not essential.

Alex

Thank you for the feedback. Now I know what to list at the top of my christmas wishes.... I am thinking of the Inon 45 degree viewfinder! And since I should see it in person first, I can add flying to Florida to see them at REEF...and add diving at Blue Heron Bridge.
Unless someone comes out with a D90 replacement that I cannot resist.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#37 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Now I know what to list at the top of my christmas wishes.... I am thinking of the Inon 45 degree viewfinder! And since I should see it in person first, I can add flying to Florida to see them at REEF...and add diving at Blue Heron Bridge.
Unless someone comes out with a D90 replacement that I cannot resist.

We should know about the D90 replacement (D95?) before the 3rd week of this month or it will be much later in Nikon's fiscal year (ends Mar 2011). The Nexus replacement back entailed sending in the housing and the back was modified for the D90, therefore you can't use the D90 & D80 in the same housing. As best I recall the cost was about $1,600 to $1,800 USD. Though the D90 is a much improved D80, it was not worth it to me.
Bob

Edited by Deep6, 03 August 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#38 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

1600USD off a 2800USD come up to what I was saying, a bit more than half of the complete housing, figure somewhere around +/- 900 to 110USD for our back if, and its a big IF its feasible. just don't get you hope up, Japan's photo industry has not this concern very high on their priority list, I doubt they would make subsequent camera model of the same layout just to make us happy :) still, it be nice to get a break once in a while.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#39 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:05 AM

Japan's photo industry has not this concern very high on their priority list, I doubt they would make subsequent camera model of the same layout just to make us happy :unsure: still, it be nice to get a break once in a while.

Jean, I want you to be happy! I am buying into Thom Hogan's (www.bythom.com) and other's argument for a modular camera. Replace the innards like sensors, etc. but keep the same basic body configuration.
Bob

#40 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

The idea is attractive, still when you design something to be interchageable you have to add mechanical linkage and connectors of some sort, be it a primitive hinge and latch or a sophisticated mechanism and that will make anything small much bigger unfortunately. Think of it as your camera interchangeable battery compartment versus a built in battery. it be great if they could get it done without altering the size of the average DSLR, but I wouldn't want to end up with something the size of a medium format camera. :unsure:

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca