2 replies to this topic

#1 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:07 AM

Hi!

I'm planning to buy the new Olympus E-1 so my E-20 and housing are for sale.

The rig includes housing, handlebar, flat and dome port. The housing has controls to access all main camera functions and a standard flash connector (5 pin, M and A-Mode with any flash and TTL with dedicated housed flash possible).

Please contact me if you're interested.

Helge ;-)=)
Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 11:29 AM

Hi Helge,

Do you have a housing lined up for your E-1? Inquiring minds want to know!

Also curious why you decided to switch to the E-1.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 12:05 AM

Hi!

Yes, I've a housing for the E-1 lined up. I had a try to house the E-1 in my E-20 housing. There are slight but maybe fatal differences so it might be a risk to modify the existing housing. The lens mount shifted up so the body needs to be placed a bit lower in the housing. That would be no problem (shutter release and main wheel can be accessed) but I need a new mounting frame to check if the other controls in the lid will work too. Then, there's the viewfinder and the display. I haven't checked yet if they have moved relative to the center axis of the lens.
Designers sometimes don't care for housing developers ;-(

That's why I had an eye on the E-1 in the first place. Paying less by modifying the old housing. Now, first tests have revealed that it might be wise to use the same core but place the controls according to the E-1 from scratch. I also want manual WB and access to the ISO button (formerly through the menu, now a dedicated button on top of the body) so there would be the need of some extra buttons I don't know how to fit in yet. This is also done better from scratch.

The E-1 in general is a widely discussed topic stirring up more emotions than facts. I had a look at the D-100 and 10D as well but I like the new concept in a way. I already saw prints (made by a 30 year Nikon owner who bought an E-1) in 30x40cm and blow-ups and the image quality is really good.

My main problem was that the E-20 has a limited sensitivity (ISO 320 with significant loss of quality) and that kept me from taking quite some shots recently (WA, wreck, cave). It didn't hurt with macro as there's enough light but it does when you want to do WA with available light.

I like the handling of the Olympus camera body and there are some very promising WA lenses (22-44 SLR equiv. and 14-28? SLR equiv.) announced for 2004.

I'm currently in a planning phase. Lots of options. Selling the E-20 housing is one of them. Realizing that I can't afford it for the next few months could be another ;-(

Helge ;-)=)
Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...