9 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

Wes Skiles, a renowned explorer and underwater photographer / cinematographer, died yesterday while diving off of Boynton Beach, Florida. According to local papers, Wes signaled to other divers that he was ascending. Details are spotty, but he was later found at the bottom of the reef, motionless.

Wes' photography and work is featured in this month's National Geographic article on Bahamas Blue Holes. His beautiful cover shot shows two divers exploring a beautifully-lit limestone cave.

If you have something you'd like to share to memorialize Wes Skiles, please leave it in the comments one the front page or send it to us via email and we'll add it to the post.

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

Wes Skiles, a renowned explorer and underwater photographer / cinematographer, died yesterday while diving off of Boynton Beach, Florida. According to local papers, Wes signaled to other divers that he was ascending. Details are spotty, but he was later found at the bottom of the reef, motionless.

Wes' photography and work is featured in this month's National Geographic article on Bahamas Blue Holes. His beautiful cover shot shows two divers exploring a beautifully-lit limestone cave.

If you have something you'd like to memorialize Wes Skiles, please leave it in the comments one the front page or send it to us via email and we'll add it to the post.

Posted Image

Tragic news ... :P

Dive safe everyone

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

So frikkin ironic; after all the pushing the limit cave diving, passing away during a 'simple' Boynton dive. May we all go doing what what we love!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 paquito

paquito

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

My condolences to his family and friends.

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

Facebook just recommended that I friend Wes Skiles. Someone who knew him better than I did should probably ask for his profile to be memorialized or removed ( you can do it here: http://www.facebook....w_form=deceased ).
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

Eric - I can't believe, it! I just starting looking and reading that story last night. This is a profound tragedy, my condolences to his family.

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

I only met Wes a couple of times and can't say that he'd have remembered me, but in our conversations Wes had a great sense of humor and was downright friendly. He didn't act as if he were a dive god above everyone else and he gave me a few wonderful filming tips. He died on a rebreather in 70' off Boynton Beach, Fl. Haven't heard if it was a heart issue or rebreather failure though.
Bob Cranston came over to my place yesterday and we talked of Wes and he felt the same thing, Wes was one of the good guys in this industry and never had his nose up in the air.
RIP Wes
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

The authorities never found the reason, simply stated "Accidental Drowning".
Florida News

I only post this because of being of a certain age where I find it important to learn what causes scuba injuries and death. Since Wes's cause of death is a mystery, or at least the last few minutes was, we will never know how to prevent it, but I have made a vow to take a new safety diver course and stay closer to my buddies.

Rest in Peace Wes.

#9 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

cvr_final_small.jpg

A tribute to Wes Skiles is online at:

http://alertdiver.com/?articleno=409

Edited by StephenFrink, 26 November 2010 - 07:43 PM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#10 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

Well done Steve,

We sure miss Wes.

Regards

Michel
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com