• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:47 AM

Went out today, intentionally in the dumpers, in fact that's all there was today at Balangan in Bali. Biggest wave I 'met' was about shoulder height. Enough to get a true trouncing. More than anything I wanted to use a small wave day to judge where I should and shouldn't be in a wave, couple of rashes for my efforts, not the last I'm sure. So yeah, dunked the camera too, testing the housing and more just a cursory excursion to see how it all fits together. The photography was not the aim today, just shaking everything out as a complete newbie. I didn't have the heart to tell the few surfers out there who were chatting about mailing any decent images etc that if I even got something in focus I'd be happy!!

Was happy with the fact that I kept the port droplet free and that I didn't get into too much strife. Serious kudos to the guys that do this in the big surf for a living. I was in very small learners surf and I could feel the power just in that. All good stuff.

Anyway, below are the first efforts:
Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

great first effort mark, that second one looks like it might have hurt :P

How did you find using the trigger on the handle? seems a bit of an awkward location?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

Trigger system is fine, just like any trigger. Never had a problem with them! hehehe

The good thing with these is that I'm already inside the wave with my arm sticking out to get the second shot. Hit and miss ratio is a lot higher but that's the beauty of digital I guess.

I was planning to go again today but Buxton put paid to those plans with an impromptu visit to the Sky Garden last night, damn that man!

Cheers,
Mark.
P.S I think I just spent my 1000th post on you Mikey

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:54 AM

Went back today for more punishment, mind you, now armed with proper fins and a helmet! Too many errant boards flying all over the place.

Cheers,
Mark.

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:13 AM

great stuff Mark, that second shot of the surfer going under the wave is fantastic

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

Very cool Mark. I also like the duckdiving surfer. Wish i was out there now.....
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

Awesome Marky ... Awesome :-)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:01 AM

Slowly getting the hang of it. Was out again today and getting pounded for three hours (Dean, I know what you're gonna say) in the Bali surf is a workout for sure. These were with the Canon 60mm f3.5 EFS. I had the settings cocked but it was a great day as I now understand the waves a heck of a lot better.

These are with the 400D so once I get settled into the genre and more comfortable in the water I'll be swapping out for the 5DMkII. Looking forward to that.

Cheers,
Mark.

Edited by CamDiver, 29 July 2010 - 03:06 AM.