4 replies to this topic

#1 DanBolt

DanBolt

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Hello Folks,

Just got back from my 1st dip in with the S90 in the canon WP-DC35 housing. I've been spending some time before getting it wet prepping my motley collection of lenses to work on the Dyron 67mm adaptor for this housing, and happily I can report great sucess with all three of my lenses :-)

The fisheye I'm using is the FIX UWL-04 with their 67mm thread: yes you've got to zoom in a notch or two but it works like a charm & is reasonably sharp at the edges too:
Posted Image
(This chap was almost tapping on the lens)

My wide angle is a home converted Sea & Sea DX-2G wide angle which I unscrewed their bayonet mount & put on a standard 67mm stepping ring, works really well (though you need to zoom in 1 notch):
Posted Image
and
Posted Image

Finally, and to me the most exciting find, is the macro lens. All you MMII lovers out there get ready to dust off the old kit! Remember the Sea & Sea 2T macro lens? Well, if you unscrew the bayonet mount & add your own 67mm stepping ring you've got yourself a superb macro lens that is easily the equal (though I reckon actually better) than any modern macro lens. With the S90 in 'normal' focusing mode you'll get a lens-to-subject distance of about 80mm, and in proper macro mode that'll drop to about 40mm when the camera is at full zoom:
Posted Image

Not the best photos I know, but hopefully illustrative of what I've been able to achieve with a bit of d.i.y. - now just need some decent vis to play in!

If anyone's interested I'll post photos of the lenses on the housing later.

Take care,

Dan

PS: The vis was 2 - 3m, and this was a snorkelling trip

Edited by DanBolt, 24 July 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#2 Slayer (RU)

Slayer (RU)

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:25 AM

DanBolt
thank you for your work!

#3 slowhands

slowhands

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:00 AM

Hello Folks,
...my 1st dip in with the S90 in the canon WP-DC35 housing.... motley collection of lenses to work on the Dyron 67mm adaptor for this housing, and happily I can report great sucess with all three of my lenses :-)

The fisheye I'm using is the FIX UWL-04 with their 67mm thread: yes you've got to zoom in a notch or two but it works like a charm & is reasonably sharp at the edges too

My wide angle is a home converted Sea & Sea DX-2G wide angle which I unscrewed their bayonet mount & put on a standard 67mm stepping ring, works really well (though you need to zoom in 1 notch):[snip]

Finally..the macro lens. ..Remember the Sea & Sea 2T macro lens? ...if you unscrew the bayonet mount & add your own 67mm stepping ring you've got yourself a superb macro lens.... With the S90 in 'normal' focusing mode you'll get a lens-to-subject distance of about 80mm, and in proper macro mode ... about 40mm when the camera is at full zoom....

Excellent work. Did you get the Dyron adapter at Cameras Underwater? They are the only practical supplier I found. I'm on the verge of getting the adapter from them.

The Dyron 15 and 20mm conversion lenses are so compact compared to the Fisheye and Inon wides, I'm so tempted to get the 20. I worry the 15 is just not sharp in the corners, but wow it's wide.

Can you post some pics of your housing with the lenses and especially your DIY conversion of each lens? I was thinking of giving that a go too and don't want to re-invent the wheel. My idea was to put a step ring on the DC35, since the Dyron adapter is tough to buy here in the USA. Then I would use the 67mm screw mount versions of these lenses, but if the bayonet mount versions can be modified, that's great.

Thanks again, this is great stuff!!

#4 warrenwater

warrenwater

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

Good test but I think that place is too opaque
Underwater Photography

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:13 AM

Great info, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).