15 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

Engadget broke the news today about Panasonic's upcoming consumer stereoscopic 3D camcorder, which is supposedly going to be announced on July 28th in Tokyo. The camera is the HDC-SDT750, which is advertised as the "World's first 3D Shooting Camcorder." They think that it is a modified high-end 3MOS camcorder with a 3D conversion lens attached. Specs say that it shoots 1080p AVCHD 60fps (!).

Attached File  hdc_sdt750.jpg   9.8KB   5 downloads

Attached File  hdc_sdt750_2.jpg   8.53KB   4 downloads

SOURCE Engadget
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:25 AM

Very interesting.....wonder how you would house it? Conversion lenses look like a non-starter and not sure it would really work with a dome.....
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

I'm told that no underwater 3D will ever work with a dome (to proper effect) because lenses focus on a curved virtual image. So you'll get a 3D effect.. but it will be of that virtual image.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#4 vaiski79

vaiski79

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Sport

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'm told that no underwater 3D will ever work with a dome (to proper effect) because lenses focus on a curved virtual image. So you'll get a 3D effect.. but it will be of that virtual image.

Well, I have been shooting 3D with two GoPro camera, and it seems to be working fine. What does it matter, this proper effect?

#5 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

I think what Eric meant is that you can't use two lenses behind a single dome. Two separate domes should be OK, as you're finding.
Would love to see some of your Hero HD underwater 3d work- have you posted any online?
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

No GoPro camera focuses properly underwater, unless you have the modified ones with flat ports?
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#7 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:07 AM

It looks like a TM700 with a stereo optical splitter...recording two side by side half frames (left eye, right eye). I haven't been able to find many details about the system but I suspect it will only be half horizontal resolution ie the resolution of each image will be 9601080 pixels.

It will certainly be more convenient for the average 3D shooter, but I think that a dual camera full resolution system is still the way to go for image quality and control over 3D parameters (eg convergence).

#8 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

It looks like a TM700 with a stereo optical splitter...recording two side by side half frames (left eye, right eye). I haven't been able to find many details about the system but I suspect it will only be half horizontal resolution ie the resolution of each image will be 9601080 pixels.

It will certainly be more convenient for the average 3D shooter, but I think that a dual camera full resolution system is still the way to go for image quality and control over 3D parameters (eg convergence).

Exactly- not really ideal for acheiving top-quality results. But an interesting move nonetheless.
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#9 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

Topics merged-moderator

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:14 AM

Here is the official specs:

Panasonic HDC-SDT750K

No pricing yet on camera or accessory 3D.

It may just splice 2 960x540 images onto 1 stream, but the result is still 3D 1080p, but the result is no post convergence, which probably makes color correction interesting :) Still, I doubt for web and even HDTV use, the quality will be discernible by the lay person. Most still can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

However for pro 3D acquisition, the AG-3DA1 seems to be their answer.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:09 AM

However for pro 3D acquisition, the AG-3DA1 seems to be their answer.

Isn't that the camera with the $20k RRP? I know the cost will come down eventually, but a camcorder somewhere between the two already announced would definitely be welcome! :)

Cheers, Simon

#12 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

Camcorderinfo.com has just posted an 11 page review:

http://www.camcorder...eview-37876.htm

#13 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Underwater 3D still and video photography; 3D equipment, display and publishing.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I have successfully built a 3D lens system with twin lenses behind a dome with proper effect. They do need to focus on the virtual image. The limitation is that there is a relationship between interoccular lens distance and dome diameter. When the lenses have a given IO, then the dome must have a given diameter. The math was worked out long ago and empirically tested by Dimitri Rebikoff. It's true the wide angle dome system that Imax built in the 80's didn't produce pleasing effects, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. My 3D dome lens takes really great wide angle close up 3D images...which was sort of a holly grail for me to achieve.

Mark

#14 JohnE

JohnE

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:49 AM

I have successfully built a 3D lens system with twin lenses behind a dome with proper effect. They do need to focus on the virtual image. The limitation is that there is a relationship between interoccular lens distance and dome diameter. When the lenses have a given IO, then the dome must have a given diameter. The math was worked out long ago and empirically tested by Dimitri Rebikoff. It's true the wide angle dome system that Imax built in the 80's didn't produce pleasing effects, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. My 3D dome lens takes really great wide angle close up 3D images...which was sort of a holly grail for me to achieve.

Mark

Mark -- I, for one, would like to know the details of the math, and see your images. Got any to share?

#15 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Underwater 3D still and video photography; 3D equipment, display and publishing.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

Mark -- I, for one, would like to know the details of the math, and see your images. Got any to share?

When time permits I'll see if I can find a paper on the math.

Mark

#16 UW3D

UW3D

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

John,

I could not find the paper I remember. I did find a reference to an article indirectly covering this topic, but apparently without much specificty. See Optical Aspects of Underwater Windows in SPIE Vol. 208 Ocean Optics VI (1979).

Mark